HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » EL34x4 » Journal
Page: 1

EL34x4

Profile Information

Member since: Sun Mar 29, 2015, 07:37 PM
Number of posts: 1,532

Journal Archives

BART takeover robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, rob weekend riders

Source: SF Gate

A recent string of robberies on BART trains took a frightening turn when dozens of juveniles swarmed an Oakland station over the weekend and commandeered a train car, forcing passengers to hand over bags and cell phones and leaving at least two with head injuries, witnesses told the transit agency.

The incident — the first of its kind in recent memory — occurred around 9:30 p.m. Saturday at Coliseum Station.

According to a police officials, witnesses said 40 to 60 juveniles flooded the station, jumped the fare gates and rushed to the second-story train platform. Some of the robbers apparently held open the doors of a Dublin-bound train car while others streamed inside, confronting and robbing and in some cases beating riders.

The juveniles “committed multiple strong-arm robberies of bags and cell phones,” said a police summary prepared after the incident. “At least two victims suffered head/facial injuries requiring medical attention.”



Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/BART-takeover-robbery-50-to-60-teens-swarm-11094745.php%20-?cmpid=nl_top



BART officials are withholding all video footage of the event because the perpetrators appear to be minors.

Manhunt in Cleveland After Killing Broadcast on Facebook Live

Source: NBC

Cleveland police were searching Sunday for a man who they said killed a person live on Facebook and bragged about having committed many other homicides.

The suspect, identified as Steve Stephens, is considered armed and dangerous, police said after the homicide in northeast Cleveland near the Lake Erie shore. The FBI was providing assistance, a spokeswoman told NBC News.


Read more: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/manhunt-cleveland-after-killing-broadcast-facebook-live-n747166



The Facebook video that was pulled is posted over at heavy.com. I won't provide a link. I'm sure people can find it if they want. Caution, it is very graphic, pretty much exactly how you'd expect the video of a 93-year old man getting shot point blank in the head would look.

This guy is claiming to have killed others. The police are on the lookout.

Anarchists who helped kill Occupy worry anti-Trump activists

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Anarchists-who-helped-kill-Occupy-worry-10908947.php?cmpid=gatehp

As Kathy Lipscomb watched TV newscasts of “black bloc” anarchists smashing windows at a UC Berkeley protest, the former organizer of Occupy demonstrations was obsessed by two thoughts.

The first, she said, was: “Oh no, not again.” The second: “We can’t let them help ruin things this time.”

Those sentiments echoed across the Bay Area as leaders of the current wave of protests against President Trump took heed of Wednesday’s campus violence, Trump’s subsequent threat to cut funding to UC Berkeley, and what all that portends for their movement.

Their biggest fear is a repeat of what happened to Occupy earlier this decade, when black bloc violence chased away nonviolent, mainstream protesters — and helped lead to Occupy’s collapse about five years ago.


I think the rioting helped Milo Yiannopolous. His sales have soared on Amazon and he's becoming increasingly well-known. The fact that he has benefited so much from the actions of the balaclava-wearing rioters makes me wonder who was behind it.

Wisconsin Elections Commission Receives 3.5 million Payment from Stein

http://elections.wi.gov/node/4457

"Date: November 29, 2016
MADISON, WI – Here are the latest developments:

The Wisconsin Elections Commission has received a bank wire transfer of $3,499,689 from the Jill Stein presidential campaign to prepay the estimated cost of conducting a statewide recount.
With payment received, the Commission is issuing an order for the recount to begin on Thursday. The complete schedule is here: http://elections.wi.gov/node/4445
The campaign of Roque De La Fuente withdrew its recount petition today, and will not be participating financially in the cost of the recount.
Yesterday, the Commission released an estimate of nearly $3.5 million to the campaigns of Green Party candidate Jill Stein and independent candidate Rocky Roque De La Fuente. Unfortunately, there was an error in adding up figures from the 72 Wisconsin county clerks of their estimated recount costs, and the actual total is $3,898,340.
At this time, the Commission will not be requiring the Stein campaign to pay the additional amount. When counties report their actual costs, the Commission will either bill the Stein campaign for any costs over the $3.5 million or refund the campaign any unused funds.
The Commission’s role in a recount is to order the recount, to provide legal guidance to the counties during the recount, and to certify the results. If the candidates disagree with the results of the recount, the law gives them the right to appeal in circuit court within five business days after the recount is completed. The circuit court is where issues are resolved that may be discovered during the recount but are not resolved to the satisfaction of the candidates.

Wisconsin’s Recount Manual and comprehensive information about past recounts, including the last statewide recount in the 2011 Wisconsin Supreme Court election, are available here: http://elections.wi.gov/elections-voting/recount."


She waiting until almost literally, the very last minute, before sending that wire transfer. I was half expecting her to not pay it. I guess she didn't really have much of a choice.

White House has 'no recommendations' for FBI director on Clinton-related email investigation

Source: CNBC

President Obama does not believe FBI Director James Comey is secretly trying to influence the election outcome, the White House said Monday.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the the Administration will neither defend nor criticize Comey's decision to inform Congress about the new Hillary Clinton-related emails.

Read more: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/31/white-house-will-not-defend-criticize-fbis-decision-to-tell-congress-about-clinton-email-decision.html



Developing...

FBI agent: Missing teen Brittanee Drexel was kidnapped, shot and dumped in alligator pit

Source: Post and Courier (South Carolina)

A teenage girl who disappeared from Myrtle Beach seven years ago was abducted, gang-raped, shot to death and thrown into an alligator-infested swamp in the dense forests near McClellanville, according to the FBI.

FBI agent Gerrick Munoz this week gave the first detailed account of what investigators think happened to 17-year-old Brittanee Drexel after she disappeared in 2009. His account, contained in a federal court transcript obtained by The Post and Courier, is based on a statement from a prison inmate who claims he was present when she was killed.



Read more: http://www.postandcourier.com/20160826/160829517/fbi-agent-missing-teen-brittanee-drexel-was-kidnapped-shot-and-dumped-in-alligator-pit



I remember when she first disappeared. This was a pretty big case that got a fair amount of publicity. Pretty white girl against her parents wishes travels out of state for spring break and is never seen again.

I don't know if I'm buying this conclusion. I'm always suspicious of jailhouse snitches who all too often will say anything when freedom is dangled in front of them. Pending further evidence, I still think she crossed paths with a serial killer. Hoping authorities can finally close this case.

&maxw=800&q=90

Man who identified as a woman was allowed in our all-women's shelter.

Man who identified as a woman was allowed in our all-women's shelter. It was the wrong call (OPINION), May 24, 2016, Malta Davis, Guest Columnist, Oregon Live

In June 2014, I was admitted to a women's homeless shelter in Northeast Portland. This was my second attempt to lift myself out of homelessness through the assistance of Transition Projects, which runs the shelter.

Like most of the residents, I was there because I had run out of options. None of us was thrilled about living with as many as 60 other women. Our only task was to make the most of it so we could transition into something better.

A few weeks into my stay, I returned to find a number of women in distress. Reportedly, one woman had even fled the shelter in terror.

What was wrong? What was the uproar about? An answer soon followed: The shelter had admitted a man who "self-identified" as a woman. No doubt this was not a first for the shelter; it was, however, a first for those of us who were relative newcomers.


http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/05/man_who_self-identified_as_a_w.html

With the discussion focused on public restrooms and locker rooms, I ran across this and wondered, what about women's homeless shelters?

I didn't see this posted.

72 Department of Homeland Security Employees On Terrorist Watchlist

Congressman Stephen Lynch (D) MA:

"...Back in August, we did an investigation—the inspector General did—of the Department of Homeland Security, and they had 72 individuals that were on the terrorist watch list that were actually working at the Department of Homeland Security. The director had to resign because of that. Then we went further and did and eight-airport investigation. We had staffers go into eight different airports to test the department of homeland security screening process at major airports. They had a 95 percent failure rate. We had folks—this was a testing exercise, so we had folks going in there with guns on their ankles, and other weapons on their persons, and there was a 95 percent failure rate..."


Oops.

http://wgbhnews.org/post/congressman-lynch-72-department-homeland-security-employees-terrorist-watchlist

Fundraising site set up for woman who killed potential serial killer

From the Charleston Gazette-Mail

A group of people have established a fundraising website for the woman who earlier this month killed an attacker who might have been a serial killer.

Supporters thought the woman — who has been publicly identified only by her first name, Heather — might need funds for public relations and legal assistance if any companies want to buy the rights to her story, to stop placing ads on Backpage and to get away from the location of the attack and find a new apartment, according to one of the organizers of the fundraiser, Charleston resident Laura Gandee.

“She’s a feminist hero in my eyes and we should help her,” Gandee said.

Gandee said she had been in touch with a friend of Heather who said she was interested in a new apartment.

“She didn’t ask for this,” Gandee said. “We volunteered because someone told us there was a need.”

The woman killed Neal Falls after he attacked her at her home on July 18.

While Heather had originally asked to be anonymous, Charleston Police Lt. Steve Cooper said Wednesday she was OK with her first name being used, and organizers of the fundraiser have used that name. Cooper would not confirm her full name on Wednesday.

Police said Falls had answered an ad the woman had placed on Backpage.com, a site often used for escort services.

Heather told the Gazette-Mail that Falls immediately pressed a gun to her stomach and said “live or die” when he walked in the door, and then started to choke her.

She was able to grab his gun and shoot him when he set it down to take a rake from her arms.

Police believe Falls might have killed other women. Officers found several axes, a shovel, knives, a machete, bleach, handcuffs, a bulletproof vest and a list of women’s names in his vehicle.

Gandee posted about the fundraiser on Facebook, and said she has been blown away by the response. In just two days, they raised $1,000, she said, and more than $1,300 had been raised by Wednesday afternoon.

Donors left messages for Heather on the page. “Dion” wrote: “You are a hero, an angel, a gift from GOD. Your bravery truly touched my heart. You saved GOD KNOWS how many lives with your fearlessness and I HAD to help. I wish I can give more, but I will keep you in my prayers for your continued protection.”

Mary Withers thanked the woman, then said, “I know that sex workers are VERY vulnerable to violent crime. So glad you prevailed and he didn’t. You may have saved dozens of lives, BESIDES your own!”

Gandee said she met with Heather Tuesday night and showed her the fundraising page. She said Heather was “very touched” by the donations and comments.

“She was just very moved and said she really appreciated everything that everyone said and was doing for her,” she said. “She’s a very humble person so all of this attention is sort of overwhelming.”

Gandee said that, so far, they have talked only about using the funds for a new apartment.

“She wants to make a better life for herself, but the plans are not set in stone yet,” Gandee said. “It’s too early. This just happened. She’s just starting to think about these things.”

Heather’s mother directed a reporter to a lawyer, Kathy Brown, for comment. Brown said Wednesday that she is handling media requests for Heather but that she was not accepting interview requests.

The fundraising site is found at www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/lbl9/serial-rapist-neal-falls-shot-and-killed-by-charleston-woman-during-an-attack.

Go to Page: 1