HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Animal Planet-- "Big, Sma...

Sun Sep 1, 2019, 01:14 AM

Animal Planet-- "Big, Small, and Deadly-- Rise of the Jellyfish"

https://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/big-small-deadly/

Thanks in part to the oceans warming, jellies are expanding at an amazing rate, and changing oceans and lakes.

Some seem to be born pregnant, others can actually create their own food. Some have clogged cooling systems at nuclear plants, others have wiped out fishing grounds.

And there's even one with a highly developed eye that can recognize colors, although it has no brain.

Fuggedabout sharks-- once you know about the box jellyfish, you may never go swimming again.

2 replies, 821 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Animal Planet-- "Big, Small, and Deadly-- Rise of the Jellyfish" (Original post)
TreasonousBastard Sep 2019 OP
Rhiannon12866 Sep 2019 #1
Duppers Sep 2019 #2

Response to TreasonousBastard (Original post)

Sun Sep 1, 2019, 01:54 AM

1. Yikes! I got stung by a jellyfish when I was a kid - on a visit to Southampton

Turned out it was just a little one, but it sure hurt!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TreasonousBastard (Original post)

Sun Sep 1, 2019, 03:03 AM

2. What eats jellyfish?

What eats jellyfish?

There are many kinds, or species, of jellyfish in all the oceans of the earth. The main predator of jellyfish is other jellyfish, usually of a different species.

But jellyfish also have a number of other natural enemies that like to eat them. These predators include tunas, sharks, swordfish and some species of salmon.

Sea turtles also like to eat jellyfish. In fact, each year many sea turtles become ill and even die from eating floating plastic bags and other plastic trash that they mistake for jellies. That is one of the reasons why it is important to keep trash out of the world’s oceans.

So, what do jellyfish eat? Most jellyfish prey on tiny sea creatures called plankton....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread