HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Scientists discover new p...

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 05:30 PM

Scientists discover new pain-sensing organ

Octopus-like Schwann cells that engulf nerves in skin can sense pain, experiments show

Nicola Davis
@NicolaKSDavis
Thu 15 Aug 2019 14.00 EDT Last modified on Thu 15 Aug 2019 19.20 EDT

Illustration of a nerve cell in the human body. Illustration: SergeyNivens/Getty/iStockphoto

A new organ involved in the sensation of pain has been discovered by scientists, raising hopes that it could lead to the development of new painkilling drugs.

Researchers say they have discovered that the special cells that surround the pain-sensing nerve cells that extend into the outer layer of skin appear to be involved in sensing pain – a discovery that points to a new organ behind the feeling of “ouch!”.

The scientists say the finding offers new insight into pain and could help answer longstanding conundrums.

“The major question for us now is whether these cells are actually the cause for certain kinds of chronic pain disorders,” Prof Patrik Ernfors, a co-author of the research from the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, told the Guardian.

More:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/15/scientists-discover-new-pain-sensing-organ

1 replies, 1274 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Scientists discover new pain-sensing organ (Original post)
Judi Lynn Aug 17 OP
lastlib Aug 17 #1

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 10:32 PM

1. (I thought it was going to be about my broken leg......)

it's a great tool for sensing pain--senses it 24/7, to be exact. And if you touch it about six inches above the ankle, where the bones broke--well, you won't need fireworks for the Fourth of July; I'll just be the whole show. Roman candle to beat 'em all!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread