HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » New study suggests Alzhei...

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 03:46 AM

New study suggests Alzheimer's is not one disease but six different conditions

SCIENCE
Rich Haridy
5 hours ago

A large team of researchers has developed a new way to classify patients with Alzheimer's disease, suggesting we should think of the disease as six distinctly different conditions instead of one single disease.

Currently Alzheimer's disease is only really separated into two types, either early-onset Alzheimer's or late-onset Alzheimer's, depending on what stage of a person's life they begin displaying symptoms. However some researchers believe Alzheimer's disease may be much more complicated and specific than that.

A new study is suggesting this homogenizing of a variety of different cognitive symptoms into one single diagnosis may be the reason behind the recent parade of failed clinical trials into Alzheimer's drugs that were proving promising in early research.

"Alzheimer's, like breast cancer, is not one disease," says Shubhabrata Mukherjee, lead author on the new study. "I think a good drug might fail in a clinical trial because not all the subjects have the same kind of Alzheimer's."

More:
https://newatlas.com/alzheimers-six-different-conditions/57543/

4 replies, 1127 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply New study suggests Alzheimer's is not one disease but six different conditions (Original post)
Judi Lynn Thursday OP
Duppers Thursday #1
JudyM Friday #2
Duppers Friday #3
JudyM Friday #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 06:29 AM

1. Wonder what happened to this promising study?....

New Alzheimer’s Treatment Fully Restores Memory Function

BEC CREW 18 MAR 2015

Australian researchers have come up with a non-invasive ultrasound technology that clears the brain of neurotoxic amyloid plaques - structures that are responsible for memory loss and a decline in cognitive function in Alzheimer’s patients.

More...
https://www.sciencealert.com/new-alzheimer-s-treatment-fully-restores-memory-function#.WHG_pCw0PyM.facebook

I may be needing help soon.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Duppers (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 7, 2018, 10:20 AM

2. I've been following the research on cannabis helping with dementia.

Also music with headphones and exercise both appear to help. So throw on your earbuds, have a couple hits and head out for a walk this weekend

Reply to this post

Response to JudyM (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 7, 2018, 12:26 PM

3. Love it!! Thanks, Judy!

I walk my 2 huge dogs every day, but have lost my procurement contacts. After we move to another state, I'll have some leads there.

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 7, 2018, 01:00 PM

4. Good luck, Duppers.

Wishing you good health and good times!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread