HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Travel (Group) » Airbus ready to phase out...

Wed Dec 27, 2017, 11:07 AM

Airbus ready to phase out A380 if fails to win Emirates deal: sources

Source: Reuters

#BUSINESS NEWS DECEMBER 27, 2017 / 8:35 AM / UPDATED 7 MINUTES AGO

Airbus ready to phase out A380 if fails to win Emirates deal: sources

Tim Hepher
4 MIN READ

PARIS (Reuters) - Airbus is drawing up contingency plans to phase out production of the world’s largest jetliner, the A380 superjumbo, if it fails to win a key order from Dubai’s Emirates, three people familiar with the matter said.

The moment of truth for the slow-selling airliner looms after just 10 years in service and leaves one of Europe’s most visible international symbols hanging by a thread, despite a major airline investment in new cabins unveiled this month.

“If there is no Emirates deal, Airbus will start the process of ending A380 production,” a person briefed on the plans said. A supplier added such a move was logical due to weak demand.

Airbus and Emirates declined to comment. Airbus also declined to say how many people work on the project.

Any shutdown is expected to be gradual, allowing Airbus to produce orders it has in hand, mainly from Emirates.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-a380/airbus-ready-to-phase-out-a380-if-fails-to-win-emirates-deal-sources-idUSKBN1EL11L

5 replies, 444 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Airbus ready to phase out A380 if fails to win Emirates deal: sources (Original post)
Eugene Dec 2017 OP
DonaldsRump Dec 2017 #1
DrDan Jan 2018 #2
mainer Apr 5 #3
DrDan Apr 11 #5
EX500rider Apr 5 #4

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Wed Dec 27, 2017, 11:54 AM

1. 100% chance

....that the Idiot in Chief will take credit for "making America great again" if Airbus stops making the A380, and how he has personally helped Boeing etc. etc.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 16, 2018, 05:21 PM

2. that would be a shame - we took an A380 to Paris couple months ago - very comfortable flight

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 5, 2018, 02:34 PM

3. oh too bad. I love the A380

Flew Emirates a few years ago, and that was the most luxurious flight I've ever taken in my life.

Reply to this post

Response to mainer (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 11, 2018, 08:35 AM

5. yep - Emirates does a great job - took a flight through Dubai - absolutely great service

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 5, 2018, 04:05 PM

4. I was reading on another site..

....that if a bargain airlines like Ryan or Spirit bought some used they could get about 800 seats on it....d'oh!
Can you imagine that boarding call?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread