Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Bradshaw3

(7,560 posts)
Wed Mar 20, 2019, 07:22 PM Mar 2019

Ferlinghetti celebrated as 100th birthday nears

For many of us the Beats were the Source as one writer dubbed them. The last, as far as I know, to survive is the wonderful poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti who turns 100 on March 24th. San Francisco, where Ferlinghetti started the City Lights bookstore in 1957, has several celebrations planned. I have only been there a couple of times but to me it's a must for anyone who appreciates not only independent bookstores but also American poetry and the contributions of the Beats. A good article on him from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/19/lawrence-ferlinghetti-turns-100-interview-city-lights

3 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Ferlinghetti celebrated as 100th birthday nears (Original Post) Bradshaw3 Mar 2019 OP
A book he wrote truly influenced me -- 'Quantum Physics For Laymen', I think. A great man. byronius Mar 2019 #1
He put on the reading of Howl that got them arrested Bradshaw3 Mar 2019 #2
Of the beats Mendocino Jul 2019 #3

Bradshaw3

(7,560 posts)
2. He put on the reading of Howl that got them arrested
Wed Mar 20, 2019, 10:02 PM
Mar 2019

Not as well known of course as Ginsberg, Kerouac and Burroughs but still important in 20th Century American literature.

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»Culture Forums»Poetry»Ferlinghetti celebrated a...