HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » Race & Ethnicity (Group) » Unconscious racial attitu...

Mon May 7, 2012, 12:15 PM

Unconscious racial attitudes playing large role in 2012 presidential vote

http://www.washington.edu/news/articles/unconscious-racial-attitudes-playing-large-role-in-2012-presidential-vote
[font face=Serif]May 7, 2012

[font size=5]Unconscious racial attitudes playing large role in 2012 presidential vote[/font]

By Molly McElroy
News and Information

[font size=3]After the 2008 election of President Barack Obama, many proclaimed that the country had entered a post-racial era in which race was no longer an issue. However, a new large-scale study shows that racial attitudes have already played a substantial role in 2012, during the Republican primaries. They may play an even larger role in this year's presidential election.

The study, led by psychologists at the University of Washington, shows that between January and April 2012 eligible voters who favored whites over blacks either consciously or unconsciously also favored Republican candidates relative to Barack Obama.

"People were saying that with Obama's election race became a dead issue, but that's not at all the case," said lead investigator Anthony Greenwald, a UW psychology professor.

The study's findings mean that many white and non-white voters, even those who don't believe they tend to favor whites over blacks, might vote against Obama because of his race. These voters could cite the economy or other reasons, but a contributing cause could nevertheless be their conscious or unconscious racial attitudes.

[/font][/font]
Anyone can take the test: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/featuredtask.html

3 replies, 1712 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Unconscious racial attitudes playing large role in 2012 presidential vote (Original post)
OKIsItJustMe May 2012 OP
Jim Lane May 2012 #1
SoutherDem May 2012 #2
lalmia Sep 2012 #3

Response to OKIsItJustMe (Original post)

Mon May 7, 2012, 01:19 PM

1. There's an online test aimed at measuring your racial attitudes.

They estimate that it takes 12-13 minutes to complete. (I forgot to note my own start time but that seems about right.)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 7, 2012, 09:31 PM

2. I have my doubt about this test

Based on how quick I could pick a picture or word to match a key representing good and bad is to tell how I feel? I understand the subconscious mind but this is more a brain function speed test. I am not sure if this is really telling much at all.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 22, 2012, 04:35 AM

3. Spam deleted by Behind the Aegis (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread