HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Mental Health Support (Group) » Hyperbole and a Half: Adv...

Thu May 9, 2013, 12:01 AM

Hyperbole and a Half: Adventures in Depression

A remarkably perceptive piece about depression, well worth reading the whole thing.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

Some people have a legitimate reason to feel depressed, but not me. I just woke up one day feeling sad and helpless for absolutely no reason.

It's disappointing to feel sad for no reason. Sadness can be almost pleasantly indulgent when you have a way to justify it - you can listen to sad music and imagine yourself as the protagonist in a dramatic movie. You can gaze out the window while you're crying and think "This is so sad. I can't even believe how sad this whole situation is. I bet even a reenactment of my sadness could bring an entire theater audience to tears."

But my sadness didn't have a purpose. Listening to sad music and imagining that my life was a movie just made me feel kind of weird because I couldn't really get behind the idea of a movie where the character is sad for no reason.

Essentially, I was being robbed of my right to feel self pity, which is the only redeeming part of sadness.

4 replies, 3140 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hyperbole and a Half: Adventures in Depression (Original post)
Fumesucker May 2013 OP
annabanana May 2013 #1
siligut May 2013 #2
hunter May 2013 #3
LiberalAndProud May 2013 #4

Response to Fumesucker (Original post)

Thu May 9, 2013, 08:32 AM

1. That was great.

Thanks for posting it.

Will forward.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu May 9, 2013, 01:57 PM

2. This belongs in the Cool section on the front page

She has a real grasp of the human condition here.

Reply to this post

Thu May 9, 2013, 01:59 PM

3. Part two...

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

A lot of it resonates with me, but in my case all the emptiness gets flooded with OCD and stuff related to sleep deprivation/nightmares and eating disorders.

I don't experience the same sort of "it's okay if I die" feeling that I get with say a really bad migraine or times of cluster headaches

In my black hole place there's too much useless OCD crap to be done that wouldn't be done if I was dead and that would be intolerable.

It's possible that could be a problem some day if I change meds, or whatever meds I'm taking fade, leaving me depressed without the OCD as a backstop.

Reply to this post

Sun May 12, 2013, 07:09 PM

4. This is positively spot on.

Allie is amazingly gifted at describing the indescribable.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread