HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » White House calls images ...

Sat May 14, 2022, 06:43 AM

White House calls images of Israeli police attacking funeral of slain Palestinian journalist 'deeply

Source: The Independent

White House calls images of Israeli police attacking funeral of slain Palestinian journalist ‘deeply disturbing’

‘We regret the intrusion of what should have been a peaceful procession’

Alex Woodward
New York
13 hours ago

White House press secretary Jen Psaki called the scenes from a funeral procession in Jerusalem for a Palestinian-American journalist who was fatally shot during an Israeli raid “deeply disturbing”, as widely shared footage shows Israeli officers beating pallbearers carrying the coffin containing the body of Shireen Abu Akleh.

“We have all seen those images. They’re obviously deeply disturbing. This is a day where we should all be marking, including everyone there, the memory of a remarkable journalist who lost her life,” Ms Psaki said from the White House on Friday 13 May.

“With the disturbing footage from the funeral procession today in Jerusalem, we regret the intrusion of what should have been a peaceful procession,” she said. “We urge respect for the funeral procession, the mourner and the family at this sensitive time.”

She added that Joe Biden’s administration remains “in close with with Israeli and Palestinian authorities.”

-snip-

Read more: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/white-house-shireen-abu-akleh-funeral-b2078752.html

5 replies, 613 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House calls images of Israeli police attacking funeral of slain Palestinian journalist 'deeply (Original post)
Eugene Saturday OP
mobeau69 Saturday #1
Beastly Boy Saturday #2
Eugene Saturday #3
Beastly Boy Saturday #4
qwlauren35 1 hr ago #5

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Sat May 14, 2022, 07:09 AM

1. The video was way more than disturbing. It was a disgusting, evil attack.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mobeau69 (Reply #1)

Sat May 14, 2022, 08:14 AM

2. Is there a video? I only saw still photos.

Can you post a link?
Thanks

Reply to this post

Response to Beastly Boy (Reply #2)

Sat May 14, 2022, 09:22 AM

3. Here you go.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-14/israeli-police-clash-with-palestinian-shireen-abu-akleh-mourners/101066644

The ITV video, in the first YouTube link, goes into the deepest context. Israeli forces reacted to the display of Palestinian flags and try to forcibly take them down.

Reply to this post

Response to Eugene (Reply #3)

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:02 AM

4. Thank you.

With all the conflicting accounts flying around, the videos give some perspective.

The funeral procession, whoever participated in it, was far from being dignified from the start. Those who brought and conspicuously displayed the Palestinian flags knew full well that it would disrupt the funeral, and their intention was clear.

Under “normal” circumstances, the Israeli police would have been justified in interfering, if not in using force excessively as they did. However, in the context of a funeral procession, their actions were totally disrespectful to the dead journalist and the people who came to mourn and not to protest.

Reply to this post

Response to Beastly Boy (Reply #4)

Wed May 18, 2022, 06:13 PM

5. There's something really wrong

When you can't have a flag honoring a dead person's heritage at a funeral.

I don't see how you can justify use of excessive force over carrying a flag. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Please think about it.

When African-Americans peacefully protest about the death of someone who is killed at the hands of the police, and the response is "excessive force", someone needs to be sued.

If the dead person had had the Palestinian flag draped on the coffin, would that have been acceptable? Or another justification for "excessive force"?

This consistent making of excuses for Israeli police using excessive force against unarmed civilians makes me sick to my stomach. I don't see how it's justifiable in any way, shape or form.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread