HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Trump administration move...

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:30 AM

Trump administration moves to open 1.6 million acres to fracking, drilling in California

Ending a five-year moratorium, the Trump administration Wednesday took a first step toward opening 1.6 million acres of California public land to fracking and conventional oil drilling, triggering alarm bells among environmentalists.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management said it’s considering new oil and natural gas leases on BLM-managed lands in Fresno, San Luis Obispo and six other San Joaquin Valley and Central Coast counties. Meanwhile, activists in San Luis Obispo are pushing a ballot measure this fall to ban fracking and new oil exploration in the county.

If BLM goes ahead with the plan, it would mark the first time since 2013 that the agency has issued a new lease for oil or gas exploration in California, according to the Center for Biological Diversity, which immediately vowed to fight the move. California is the nation’s fourth largest oil-producing state, after Texas, North Dakota and Alaska, with much of the production concentrated in the southern San Joaquin Valley and Southern California.

The Trump administration is trying to “sell off our public lands again,” said Clare Lakewood, a senior attorney with the Center for Biological Diversity in San Francisco. The federal government oversees about 15 million acres of public lands in California, and leases some of them for private use by contractors.

Read more: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article216322295.html

7 replies, 513 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump administration moves to open 1.6 million acres to fracking, drilling in California (Original post)
TexasTowelie Friday OP
msongs Friday #1
Rhiannon12866 Friday #2
Varaddem Friday #3
TexasTowelie Friday #4
MFM008 Friday #5
hedda_foil Friday #6
OxQQme Friday #7

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:34 AM

1. those 3 are red areas of the state. let the repub office holders defend this in public! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:47 AM

2. Good God! Doesn't California have enough problems right now??

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:50 AM

3. In California

They already have earthquakes there? Even if the jury still out on this you got to be kidding.

Reply to this post

Response to Varaddem (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 03:57 AM

4. I wish that it was just kidding.

I had a dilemma as to whether I should have posted this thread in "Weird News" instead because the idea of adding further geological instability in a seismically active region is preposterous.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 05:03 AM

5. Fracking on

The San Andres fault, maggot would enjoy the carnage.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 10:07 AM

6. Perfect. Fracking is just what the San Andreas fault needs.

I guess it's one way to get rid of a whole lot of Democrats.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread