HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » It's Sesame Street Day!!!

Sat Nov 10, 2018, 09:05 AM

It's Sesame Street Day!!!

This day in 1969, Sesame Street aired for the first time. I was watching with my not quite 3 year old son and my newborn daughter. He was hooked from the first episode.

2 replies, 78 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply It's Sesame Street Day!!! (Original post)
Arkansas Granny Saturday OP
Atman Saturday #1
Arkansas Granny Saturday #2

Response to Arkansas Granny (Original post)

Sat Nov 10, 2018, 09:28 AM

1. I'm neighbors with Carrol Spinney, the man inside the costume.

He finally retired. He's a good guy. I made created a Sesame Street anniversary card with a group of neighborhood kids almost twenty years ago. Carrol is a really nice, has a big, beautiful compound in Woodstock, CT (we live in NH now, but still have a summer place next to Big Bird). He used to do a big puppet show every summer for the kids, but he no longer does it. Most of the kids grew up an moved on. Funny thing was, he couldn't use any Sesame Street characters (copyright, royalties) so he created his own puppet characters that looked like they belonged on Sesame Street, but they weren't part of the "cast." And that unmistakable voice -- that's his voice. He couldn't really hide it during the puppet shows.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Atman (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 10, 2018, 09:35 AM

2. Big Bird was always one of my favorites. Such a gentle soul.

My daughter told me a few years ago that she was disappointed when Mr. Snuffleupagus was finally revealed as Big Bird's friend. She had wanted him to remain a special friend to only Big Bird.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread