HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 'We Are Not There Yet': A...

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 12:34 AM

'We Are Not There Yet': As States Drop Mask Rules, the C.D.C. Stands Firm

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/09/health/mask-rules-cdc.html

But the slow deliberations, within both the C.D.C. and Mr. Zients’ team, are putting the White House in a tough spot. As officials examine the science and chart a careful course, they run the risk of making the Biden administration look irrelevant as governors forge ahead on their own.

“The administration needs to read the room and see that nearly all elected leaders are moving on without them,” said Dr. Leana Wen, a former Baltimore health commissioner who has often been critical of the administration, adding, “No one is expecting the C.D.C. to say that everyone should go maskless right now. What they are looking for are clear metrics on when restrictions can be lifted and when they may need to return.”

Governors have said so themselves. Last week, after a bipartisan group of governors met with Mr. Biden, Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas, a Republican, told reporters he had emphasized to the president that the nation needs to “move away from the pandemic” and asked him for “clear guidelines on how we can return to a greater state of normality.”

It is now clear the states have decided not to wait. On Wednesday, the governors of New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Illinois joined a growing list of Democrats who have dropped either a general statewide mask mandate or one that applies to schools.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I posted about this earlier in the week (https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216327912) . The White House is trailing both the states and the public on this issue. It seems to be an unnecessary own goal.

5 replies, 711 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'We Are Not There Yet': As States Drop Mask Rules, the C.D.C. Stands Firm (Original post)
cinematicdiversions Feb 2022 OP
Deuxcents Feb 2022 #1
Mad_Machine76 Feb 2022 #2
brer cat Feb 2022 #3
Laura PourMeADrink Feb 2022 #5
niyad Feb 2022 #4

Response to cinematicdiversions (Original post)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 12:40 AM

1. Welp.. no one needs to tell me that it's not over yet..

I’ll keep my masks, thank you. I agree..we are not there yet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 12:46 AM

2. Why is this all being laid at Biden's feet?!

He’s tried to do stuff that states like Arkansas, Texas, Florida and others keep undermining and yet they’re yelling at HIM to do…….something, something?!

Reply to this post

Response to Mad_Machine76 (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 12:51 AM

3. Biden is going to be blamed no matter what.

I know it's not over and will continue masking and staying home as much as possible.

Reply to this post

Response to Mad_Machine76 (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 01:07 AM

5. Cuz he's prez???

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 12:56 AM

4. Hey, asa, the pandemic has not yet "moved away from" US.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread