HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mark Your Calendars For B...

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 06:37 PM

Mark Your Calendars For Booster Shots

(HealthDay News) -- There's good news for the millions of Americans who've already received a dose or two of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine: New research shows the vaccine should protect against illness for at least six months.

The new study tracked 33 participants in the trials that led to the vaccine's approval. Six months after having received their second vaccine dose, "antibody activity remained high in all age groups," according to a team led by Nicole Doria-Rose of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).

The reassuring results follow on similar findings for the other major two-dose vaccine included in the U.S. vaccine rollout, made by Pfizer/BioNTech. Trial results released April 1 by the companies found that their vaccine remains more than 91% effective six months after people get their second dose.

In the meantime, Doria-Rose and her colleagues said that "ongoing studies are monitoring immune responses beyond six months as well as determining the effect of a booster dose to extend the duration and breadth of activity against emerging viral variants."

[link:https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-04-06/moderna-covid-vaccine-offers-protection-for-at-least-6-months-study|

6 replies, 948 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mark Your Calendars For Booster Shots (Original post)
WHITT Apr 6 OP
CaliforniaPeggy Apr 6 #1
milestogo Apr 6 #2
FreepFryer Apr 6 #3
Demovictory9 Apr 6 #4
LisaL Apr 6 #5
Mme. Defarge Apr 6 #6

Response to WHITT (Original post)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 06:53 PM

1. That is good news! Bookmarking. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 06:58 PM

2. I don't even have the first shot scheduled yet.

Reply to this post

Response to milestogo (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 07:28 PM

3. Soon! My older family members got theirs and I'm close to my 2nd. Hold fast. (Nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 07:28 PM

4. Omg 😳😳😳 getting appointment was like winning the lottery

Dont look forward to another round

Reply to this post

Response to Demovictory9 (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 07:35 PM

5. It will likely be easier.

Presumably we will get booster shots of the same vaccine manufacturer we got the original vaccine from.
Moderna is testing South African variant booster shot, as that variant is resistant to original vaccine. I am guessing if trial shows it works well, we will be getting booster shots sometimes in the fall.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 07:45 PM

6. 2nd Pfizer was yesterday!

Head felt a little buzzy driving home and during the evening. My arm was a bit sore this morning, but not now, and today I have felt a little weak, but think it may be from relief.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread