Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

tenderfoot

(8,450 posts)
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 07:30 PM Jan 2021

Does anyone get the impression the Trump/Terrorists/etc. are just going to skate?

Judging from today's Supreme Court ruling, Manchin's futzing on the filibuster and Schumer's "I'll ask Mitch McConnell first..." about the Nuclear Option - that feckless FUCK and his army of knuckle-draggers is going to get away with EVERYTHING.

Does anyone else feel that way? Talk me down.


16 votes, 1 pass | Time left: Unlimited
Yes
5 (31%)
No
8 (50%)
Maybe
3 (19%)
Show usernames
Disclaimer: This is an Internet poll
10 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies

captain queeg

(10,634 posts)
1. I hate to say it, and it's sickening, but I think mostly they'll get off
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 07:37 PM
Jan 2021

I don’t even think trump will be convicted in the senate. He’ll have plenty of legal problems I don’t think he’ll pay for the insurrection. Of course many of the rioters are basing their defense on trump telling them to do so. There’s going to be a lot of evidence against him. Not that evidence matters to the rethugs.

TwilightZone

(25,687 posts)
2. It's not up to Congress to prosecute them.
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 07:38 PM
Jan 2021

The events you mentioned have nothing to do with whether or not they're prosecuted or punished.

Ace Rothstein

(3,228 posts)
5. Trump probably will get away with it.
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 07:43 PM
Jan 2021

Some of those who participated probably will as well. There will be some people on juries sympathetic to them. Be prepared for those on the right to start referring to those who do end up serving time as political prisoners.

Celerity

(44,537 posts)
6. It isn't just Manchin in regards to nuking the filibuster. Feinstein, Sinema have said
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 07:52 PM
Jan 2021

no multiple times in the recent (2019 and 2020) past, and there are others who have went back and forth.

Same for other issues as well, like SCOTUS expansion (at least 7 or 8 are against). Manchin is also a deffo no so far on DC Statehood as well.

The Senate (as an institution it is profoundly disproportionate on a democratic scale, soon 70% of it will be controlled by only 30% of the population, a 30% that is far more white, RW reactionary, fundie relgious and less educated than the other 70%) itself, then the Electoral College, and finally a lack of proportional representation, are 3 long wave, deep systemic Constitutional flaws that could, if things continue on in the wrong direction, play extraordinarily fundamental roles in the eventual dissolution of the union.

soothsayer

(38,601 posts)
7. Gonna be some shocking evidence (I hope)
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 08:03 PM
Jan 2021

And blood curdling stories. Let them make the case, show the videos.

We shall see.

Thekaspervote

(32,953 posts)
8. I don't think t...p will be convicted. As far as the others, possibly boebert for her part in 1/6
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 08:22 PM
Jan 2021

Hawley and cruz will skate

T...p will still face criminal charges in NY state. Once again, an AA woman saving our asses?!

doc03

(35,599 posts)
9. The Senate will not vote against Trump and I think the terrorists are pretty much all
Mon Jan 25, 2021, 08:48 PM
Jan 2021

getting away with a slap on the wrist.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Does anyone get the impre...