HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The stimulus bill include...

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 04:41 PM

The stimulus bill includes a tax break for the 1%

Opinion by Ed McCaffery

Updated 2:45 PM ET, Sat March 28, 2020

We face a frightening pandemic. More than 100,000 American have been infected with Covid-19, while tens of millions more continue to shelter at home. Meanwhile, the markets are crashing.

And yet the more things change, the more they stay the same.

While health care workers and local governments frantically race against the clock to keep up with the escalating medical caseloads while trying to keep themselves and their families safe, Congress was still able to find the time to give money away to rich people.

Thanks to a stunning new report from the New York Times, which has been relentless on the tax beat during the Trump administration, we've learned that a provision has been included in the 880-page coronavirus stimulus bill to help the very wealthy in a way that is breathtaking in its scope and detail.

It is worth taking a minute -- many of us have more of those now in our quarantined states -- to explain.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/opinions/stimulus-bill-tax-break-for-1-mccaffery/index.html

This is why I have been harping that they could have given everyone that paid taxes in 2018, 1 million dollars if they made less than a 1 million dollars to pay off mortgages, renter payments, student debut etc....... instead of the BS we are getting from our financial institutions instead of giving tax breaks to those that depreciate a fucking building as loss............................................................JFC

15 replies, 789 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply The stimulus bill includes a tax break for the 1% (Original post)
turbinetree Mar 2020 OP
SheltieLover Mar 2020 #1
stopbush Mar 2020 #2
turbinetree Mar 2020 #8
stopbush Mar 2020 #11
ProfessorGAC Mar 2020 #12
stopbush Mar 2020 #13
turbinetree Mar 2020 #14
TheFarseer Mar 2020 #3
Hoyt Mar 2020 #4
customerserviceguy Mar 2020 #7
Hoyt Mar 2020 #9
customerserviceguy Mar 2020 #10
pat_k Mar 2020 #5
Turin_C3PO Mar 2020 #6
Demovictory9 Mar 2020 #15

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 04:56 PM

1. More of the same

That was my 1st thought about "stimulus"...

Maybe a crumb for most who are retired, disabled, low to middle wage earners, but most going to whores who are perpetuating misery.

Absolutely sickening!

Not to devalue our Dems in Congress fighting tooth & nail for us.

Nothing is ever enough to satiate those sickening repuke domestic terrorists.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 04:59 PM

2. A million dollars? Seriously?

Have you done the math on that one? Youíre talking $150,000,000,000,000.

Reply to this post

Response to stopbush (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 05:57 PM

8. Maybe I had a bad math teacher

$1,000,000.00 x 150,000,000 million people = 150,000,000.00 million dollars

Reply to this post

Response to turbinetree (Reply #8)

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 06:21 PM

12. Well, That's Right

But it's $150 trillion. That's more than 6x than the entire national debt.
Now, that's some real money.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 06:21 PM

13. Yes. $150-trillion.

Thatís the number you're talking about.

Reply to this post

Response to stopbush (Reply #13)

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 06:24 PM

14. well I had a bad math teacher had to many zero's ...............Thanks

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 05:11 PM

3. So they just get to take the depreciation all in the first year?

Or they get more depreciation overall? Iíve read about this in a couple places and Iím still not sure I get it. Iím also confused why you would get to depreciate land.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 05:15 PM

4. Accelerated depreciation has been used for decades -- through Republican and Democratic Admins

-- to juice the economy. That's essentially what this is. When the property is sold, they'll pay taxes on whatever they wrote off previously.

So elect Democrats in November, increase tax rates and screw them. I'm OK with that.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #4)

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 05:52 PM

7. Yes, but

When you depreciate real estate, you get deductions against ordinary income. When you recapture that depreciation at the time of a sale, the amount that could be figured had only straight line depreciation is recaptured at capital gains tax rates, which right now top out at 20%.

The basic principle of tax deferral is for me to get a dollar a year for ten years, then after ten years (when I sell the asset) I pay back ten dollars. The advantage is that I've had the use of all those dollars for that decade. But this is getting a dollar a year for ten years, then paying back two dollars.

The limit was put in place to make sure the rich paid more in taxes, removing the limit undoes that.

Reply to this post

Response to customerserviceguy (Reply #7)

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 06:01 PM

9. That's why I said elect Dems and increase tax rates.

Been decades since I studied taxes and never really worked with them, but seems recaptured depreciation is taxed as ordinary income.

No question that rich get breaks, but the breaks are not as big as people often make it sound. The fact is, the top 20% pay more than 20% of income tax. It should be more, especially after trumpís ill advised tax cuts, for sure.

I do think itís an absolute crime we donít have a tougher estate tax system.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #9)

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 06:05 PM

10. I haven't been

a tax accountant since the 1980's, but there was definitely some form of benefit to recapturing straight line depreciation at that time. I admit, I haven't kept up on the nuances of law changes since that time, especially on things that don't personally matter to me.

However, we agree completely on the solution to the problem!

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 05:29 PM

5. When the most fortunate should be investing via wealth tax.

This is appalling.

The top 10% owns 70% of the assets in this country. We should be demanding that they invest in the health of the nation and our economy in the form of a wealth tax to recoup at least some portion of the massive deficit spending required to weather this crisis. Because they rely on the health of the economy to thrive, it would probably be the best investment they ever made.

Giving tax break to those that owe this country the most is obscene.

So much for "pulling together" with each of us "doing our part." I guess we will never learn, and just keep forcing the bottom 10% to carry the burden of all the "sacrifice.

Absolutely obscene and immoral.

Reply to this post

Response to pat_k (Reply #5)

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 05:35 PM

6. Yup.

Itís like during the Middle Ages, where the peasantry was taxed while the nobility paid nothing. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 28, 2020, 07:23 PM

15. kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread