HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Challenge of going of...

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:10 AM

The Challenge of going off psych meds

This is a great article in the New Yorker that follows the narrative of a woman who grew up in a privileged family, went to Harvard, and over time was increasingly over diagnosed and over medicated. And her behavior became more and more pathological.

Very interesting. For years, most of us who work in the field have seen this up close and have worried about it endlessly. But the push from the right (the medical model) is very strong. Certainly, it has helped many. But it's clear that many others have been harmed.

The Challenge of Going Off Psychiatric Drugs
Millions of Americans have taken antidepressants for many years. What happens when itís time to stop?

By Rachel Aviv
Diagnosed with bipolar disorder as a teen-ager, Laura Delano was prescribed nineteen medications in fourteen years.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/08/the-challenge-of-going-off-psychiatric-drugs

10 replies, 1147 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to janterry (Original post)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:35 AM

1. Eery time my doc want to start me on meds,

I always tell him I want the lowest dose for the shortest time. I now suffer tremors from antidepressants I took many years ago.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:37 AM

2. very insightful article

thank you,
kp

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:49 AM

3. God I couldn't stop taking mine

I take Celexa for depression and social Anxiety. I once ran out for 2 weeks waiting on a Dr appt. I was a wreck

Reply to this post

Response to JesterCS (Reply #3)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:57 AM

4. The science behind that is getting better

For years, we told folks it was their psych. symptoms coming back. In fact, it's called the 'rebound effect.'

Not everyone should get off meds - but from what we now know - those that want to/should
the titration schedule could be 6 months to a year or MORE. (Some people titrate for 2 or 3 years!)

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:19 AM

5. Just read it. Its the product of our more is better society. And also the inability to understand ..

the concept of unexpected consequences.

Interestingly enough this is also being considered in cancer treatment, that medicines that can't cure cancer in health damaging quantities can actually prolong life longer at a better quality by lowering doses and even stopping use of some of them.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:55 AM

10. Rather, it's product of Republicon Big Pharma profit motivations. Some good, more maybe not better.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:32 AM

6. Very important to read

These drugs need to be looked at more fully

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:00 AM

7. Celexa and Lamictal believer

That seems to be the magic formula for my bipolar illness. I had been tried on a number of other things that just didn't get it, with horrifying consequences.

I look at it like I do diabetes or any other chronic condition. You want to stay alive, you take the meds. I also believe in the chemical imbalance theory, and that it is somewhat hereditary. There have been too many suicides and major depression in my family.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:35 AM

8. My son was on Prozac for years we switched him to Zoloft and now have weaned him off that

Itís been two weeks and I do see a small change for the better in his behavior.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:52 AM

9. Now instead saying an opponent is "off their meds", perhaps we should say "they are over-medicated"

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread