HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If ya'll like Lindsey,

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 04:59 PM

If ya'll like Lindsey,

then you're going to love Nikki.
I have been involved in SC politics since the 70s, and was hearing two weeks ago that she would resign before the end of the year.
A lot of speculation that Lindsey will move into the AG office, and she will of course be appointed to serve out his term and then run for re-election in 2020, or possibly be on the ticket if Trump doesn't run. In any event, she is looking at positioning herself for a Presidential run in 2024.

NIKKI HALEY IS DONALD TRUMP IN A DRESS WITH EXPERIENCE, A VOCABULARY AND AN ADDITIONAL 50 IQ POINTS.

She is dangerous because she seems so rational and pleasant. She was by far the most right-wing Governor we have ever had, and understands how to play the political game and eviscerate her opponents while smiling the whole time and saying "Well, bless his heart."

Do not underestimate her cunning or her ambition.

22 replies, 1877 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply If ya'll like Lindsey, (Original post)
SCantiGOP Tuesday OP
BeckyDem Tuesday #1
SCantiGOP Tuesday #6
BeckyDem Tuesday #7
budkin Tuesday #2
pangaia Tuesday #13
3Hotdogs Tuesday #14
Pacifist Patriot Wednesday #21
joshdawg Tuesday #3
DFW Tuesday #4
SCantiGOP Tuesday #8
DFW Tuesday #9
saidsimplesimon Tuesday #17
SCantiGOP Tuesday #19
lindysalsagal Tuesday #5
ancianita Tuesday #10
BigmanPigman Tuesday #12
ancianita Tuesday #18
ffr Tuesday #11
CaptainTruth Tuesday #15
flamingdem Tuesday #16
sagesnow Wednesday #20
Dopers_Greed Thursday #22

Response to SCantiGOP (Original post)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 05:05 PM

1. Yea, I hear you. I do not subscribe to the moderate label. Who are these moderates that deny

climate change? Moderates in the con party is a myth, policy by policy majority of them have no conscience. Just look at their votes, overall. Why do people get all excited about them when they occasionally do the right thing?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BeckyDem (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 06:00 PM

6. What makes Nikki bad

is that she knows better, but can't let on because she has to get the SC GOP to support her.
She was one of 4 candidates running for Gov in 2010 and was generally thought to be in fourth place. Then Sarah Palin paid a visit to endorse her and she ended up winning fairly easily. She never forgot that "Tea Party-low information voter" lesson.

Reply to this post

Response to SCantiGOP (Reply #6)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 06:04 PM

7. I believe you. Good analysis.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 05:07 PM

2. The problem is that there aren't enough conservatives that would vote for a female president

Since their basic belief is that women should be subservient.

Reply to this post

Response to budkin (Reply #2)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 07:52 PM

13. Oh yes they will. Given the right one

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 07:56 PM

14. True dat. Jesus don't want no wommen folk runnin' stuff.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 04:05 PM

21. They will do whatever they are told to do.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 05:49 PM

3. An additional 50 IQ points?

So, does that mean she has an IQ of 55?

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 05:58 PM

4. She did get beyond the "half Indian" stigma to win the governorship

That's more than even Phil Lader accomplished, and he has 50 IQ points on Nikki Haley.
Of course, by then, a grey squirrel could have won the governorship of South Carolina in the general election as long as they had an "R" in front of their name.

If you've been around SC that long, did you know Fritz Hollings or Dick and Tunky Riley?

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 06:21 PM

8. I am honored to say that I have known these two giants pretty well over the years

Dick Riley is the model of what a politician should be. He was in it for all the right reasons.

And Fritz perfected the model of "4 years a liberal, then 2 years hard to the right to get re-elected." Worked well for 40 years back when we had a lot of progressive/populist politicians in the South.
You may recall the story of him asking that his name be taken off of the federal judicial center in Charleston so it could be renamed for Judge J Waites Waring. As a Federal Judge in the 50s, he had ended white-only primaries in SC, and wrote a famous dissent in a desegregation case that became a major part of the Brown vs Board of Education case. He faced death threats, and had his home attacked as a result.

My favorite personal story was attending a social event at the Heritage Golf tournament on Hilton Head years ago. Fritz and Strom Thurmond were both there, and were asked to make comments. Fritz, being the Junior Senator, spoke first while Strom sat on the stage and appeared to go to sleep (he was only about 90 then). Fritz mentioned that he was the "most senior junior Senator in history." Without even looking up, Strom said, in his famous drawl, "Get used to it, Fritz."

I mentioned that I had been involved in politics since the 70s. My first real activity was in 1968 as chairman of my County Young Republicans group, selling "Help Strom elect Nixon" stickers in high school to raise money.
Before I get a lifetime ban here, I then left home and went to college, where I became involved in the anti-war movement and - to my Daddy's shame - worked for McGovern in 1972. Been blue in a red state since then.

Reply to this post

Response to SCantiGOP (Reply #8)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 06:26 PM

9. I first met Hollings in 1967 when I was 15. Riley only about 10 years ago

Before 2000, I had only set foot in SC once, I think, so I don't know either of them well. Phil Lader I do know well, but he probably arrived too late on the political scene to have had a chance at winning the governor's race. I think he did an admirable job as our ambassador to the UK under Clinton.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 08:15 PM

17. What is her birth name? Randhawa

Do Hindus from India have a special immigration status? Would they qualify under the current restrictions? "Nikki" was born in the US. Her parents were immigrants.

She has accomplished much to be admired. I just don't have any idea where she puts her "marker in the sand". Is she proud of her heritage, what does she bring to the table, what is her vision for our future?

I'm going low, forgive me.

Reply to this post

Response to saidsimplesimon (Reply #17)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 08:38 PM

19. Her parents still dress in traditional Indian garb

and speak limited English. Nikki was born in the US, but you never saw her parents until the night she won the Governor's race.

An especially vile redneck Senator referred to her when she was running for Gov as a "raghead like Obama". She got a lot of sympathy because of that, and it caused a woman to run against the guy and beat him in the District he had represented for about 10 years.
Nikki is now a Methodist, or whatever you want her to be.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 06:00 PM

5. Thanks for the info. Her impression far exceeds that of most gop morons.

Good to know.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 07:42 PM

10. She denies a run, but could be urged to be a presidential candidate to get Republican women back.

She's token and pro-right enough to not be subverted by Republican leadership.

But then, she's a woman. There's that reality.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #10)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 07:47 PM

12. She could be looking for a VP run too.

That way they get the GOP women and she is a better politician than Sarah Palin could ever hope to be.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #12)

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 08:24 PM

18. Possibly that, though she's neither acquainted with nor experienced in working with the Senate.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 07:46 PM

11. Mueller, please. Please help our country. Throw these criminals behind bars!

Enough is enough!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 08:03 PM

15. I agree. When I first saw her I thought Republicans would vote for her...

...in droves.

If conservatives want to "take back the Republican party" they'll do it by rallying around someone like her, & honestly, I think she would appeal to a lot of voters. It would also be a good strategic move for the GOP, considering how many women they've lost.

Out of all the potential GOP POTUS candidates I can think of, I think she would be the hardest to beat.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 08:11 PM

16. Tweety thinks she's the next JFK

He's tingling ALL over

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 02:42 PM

20. Putting Lipstick and a pretty face on Cruel Conservative Tax Cuts

seems to be the latest phase in the Republican playbook. We are seeing the same type of tactics here in Iowa with Gov. Kim Reynolds. Hope people see through their relentless drive to cut insurance, workers pensions and the civil rights of citizens everywhere.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 11, 2018, 09:13 AM

22. Also, I think that after leaving AG...

Sessions will run against Doug Jones for his former Senate seat in 2020.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread