DMCA Copyright Policy
Do not copy-and-paste entire articles onto this discussion forum. When referencing copyrighted work, post a short excerpt with a link back to the original.
To simplify compliance and enforcement of copyrights here on Democratic Underground, we ask that excerpts from other sources posted on Democratic Underground be limited to a maximum of four paragraphs, and we ask that the source of the content be clearly identified. Those who make a good-faith effort to respect the rights of copyright holders are unlikely to have any problems. But individuals who willfully and habitually infringe on others' copyrights risk being in violation of our Terms of Service.
Democratic Underground believes we have an ethical responsibility to respect the rights of copyright holders. For this reason, we strongly encourage our members to refrain from violating copyrights when posting here, and we make a good-faith effort to deal with copyright violations posted on our site when we are aware of them. However, please be aware that as a matter of law, individuals who infringe on copyrights in their postings on this site or elsewhere can be held individually responsible for copyright violations they post. Democratic Underground does not necessarily have a legal responsibility for the things members post on this website.
Copyright Infringement Notification
If you believe there is content on the Democratic Underground website that violates copyright law, let us know. Specifically, send us an email or letter that includes substantially the following:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material, such as the URL of the page where the material is located.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
The notice should be sent to our designated agent, David Allen, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (202-232-2208).
Democratic Underground reserves the right to (1) review the allegedly infringing material and independently determine whether it is infringing; (2) publicly display a copy of your DMCA notice; and (3) forward the notice to the person who provided the allegedly infringing content.
Please also be advised that in appropriate circumstances we terminate repeat infringers.
If you believe material you posted to Democratic Underground’s site was not infringing, you can submit a counter-notice. For more information on counter-notices, see the Citizen Media Legal Guide. Please send your counter-notice to our designated agent, David Allen, via email (email@example.com) or fax (202-232-2208).