HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » New Jersey Bridge Scandal...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 08:48 PM

New Jersey Bridge Scandal Suddenly Gets Worse For Chris Christie

Last week I mentioned the peculiar story of David Wildstein, an executive at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, who closed down several lanes of the George Washington Bridge last October in apparent retaliation against the mayor of Fort Lee for not supporting Chris Christie's reelection campaign. It all seemed pretty sleazy, but I also figured it was "vanishingly unlikely" that Christie himself had anything to do with this. It was embarrassing for him, but that was all.

Today, that may have changed:

Bill Baroni and David Wildstein, former executives at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, have sought outside counsel amid an investigation into why traffic lanes leading to the nation's busiest bridge were closed, the documents showed.

....Mr. Wildstein recently hired Alan L. Zegas, a criminal lawyer from Chatham, N.J., to represent him, according to an email sent from Mr. Zegas to the state Legislature Tuesday....Mr. Baroni retained Michael Himmel, of Lowenstein Sandler LLP. Mr. Himmel works at the firm's New York City and Roseland, N.J. offices, and specializes in white collar crime, according to his biography.

Read Mark Kleiman for more on just why this is such bad news for Christie. This scandal is starting to look like it has more legs than I thought.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/12/new-jersey-bridge-scandal-suddenly-gets-worse-chris-christie

Chris Christy is now on the Big Stage, being a Bully in New Jersey fits but not for long, seeing through his load mouth bully pulpit tactics is a lot harder when the concert hall is full from all over the country, I don’t think his handlers can fool all the onlookers either, he is not as smart as he thinks he is, the Koch Bros Tea Party are also after his hide

12 replies, 2565 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Jersey Bridge Scandal Suddenly Gets Worse For Chris Christie (Original post)
mitty14u2 Dec 2013 OP
onehandle Dec 2013 #1
Ilsa Dec 2013 #3
Cha Dec 2013 #5
Ilsa Dec 2013 #6
Cha Dec 2013 #10
Historic NY Dec 2013 #2
Cha Dec 2013 #4
TheDebbieDee Dec 2013 #7
Dan Dec 2013 #8
madinmaryland Dec 2013 #11
Anthea Carson Dec 2013 #9
lunatica Dec 2013 #12

Response to mitty14u2 (Original post)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 08:49 PM

1. The Bully™ will never be nominee. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to onehandle (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 09:07 PM

3. I dunno. Those people love their bullies.

They loved W, Darth Cheney, pRick Perry, all of whom are bullies. They can't tell the difference between bullying and leadership.

Reply to this post

Response to Ilsa (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 09:44 PM

5. bush was no slouch in that dept, either.

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 09:52 PM

6. Yeah, I listed W first. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Ilsa (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 10:59 PM

10. Sorry, I skipped right over

that.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 08:53 PM

2. The snowball keeps getting bigger as it rolls along...

its isn't going away soon.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 09:44 PM

4. That can't be bad!

Interesting.. thanks, mitty.

snip//

by Mark Kleiman

"The Chris Christie/Ft. Lee/George Washington Bridge lane closure scandal is now moving a warp speed. Now we’ve taken what may be the fatal next step, from “overblown,” “mistakes were made,” and “turning the page” – all markers of a simple scandal – to the point where the people directly implicated decide whether to save their own skins by selling out their bosses.

The Wall Street Journal reports that both David Wildstein and Bill Baroni have now “lawyered up.” If you’re Christie, that’s bad. The Journal also reports that they’ve both hired criminal defense lawyers. If you’re Christie, that’s worse."

More!
http://www.samefacts.com/2013/12/corruption-in-washington/christies-henchmen-lawyer-up/

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 10:02 PM

7. Benghaziiiiiiiiiiiiii!

I mean, Port Autboritiiiiiiiiiiiiiy!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 10:36 PM

8. Sorry, I don't get it

what is the crime, the action of shutting down 'lanes to' the bridge, or the cover up?

Reply to this post

Response to Dan (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 27, 2013, 01:32 PM

11. Mis-use of public resources?

Not sure if that is illegal, but it may be a cover-up that gets Christie (assuming that is what he decides to do).

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 10:42 PM

9. Chris Christy is not ready for prime time

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 27, 2013, 02:37 PM

12. Just give Christy all the rope he wants and he'll hang himself.

He's not ready for the National Stage. The Teabagger Party is still a decided minority. As a matter of fact they may have hit their peak already. They have nothing to offer but bullying tactics against their own party. Christy will end up insulting them too.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread