HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » California, the most vote...

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:07 PM

California, the most voters, the most diversity - and lines at poll places are usually not that long

so whats the difference? California wants people to vote, that's the reason. We have polling places everywhere, family garages, churches (ugh), stores, schools, other businesses. LOTS of places to vote with lots of voting materials for the most part.

What we don't have is republicans in charge of the legislature and the governor's office.

Republicans - don't need 'em and don't have em in positions of power for the most part.

12 replies, 848 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply California, the most voters, the most diversity - and lines at poll places are usually not that long (Original post)
msongs Nov 2012 OP
Lebam in LA Nov 2012 #1
tularetom Nov 2012 #2
JRLeft Nov 2012 #5
amborin Nov 2012 #11
cally Nov 2012 #3
dballance Nov 2012 #4
CreekDog Nov 2012 #10
Retrograde Nov 2012 #6
marlakay Nov 2012 #7
cui bono Nov 2012 #8
flamingdem Nov 2012 #9
zebe83 Nov 2012 #12

Response to msongs (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:11 PM

1. Took me 10 minutes to vote and

that includes walking to my polling place. I just cannot understand how these other states have so few locations. Amazing

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:11 PM

2. WTF is a polling place?

I don't even know where mine is. I've voted by absentee ballot for the past 25 years or so. They encourage this which also helps reduce the possibility of long lines.

Reply to this post

Response to tularetom (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:35 PM

5. I haven't voted at a booth since 2008.

Reply to this post

Response to JRLeft (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:47 AM

11. same here eom

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:20 PM

3. We also have a tradition of elections not run in a partisan manner

our current Secretary of State, Debra Bowen, is awesome. She focuses on integrity of the vote. I know she is a Democrat and is partisan, but she does not run the elections in a partisan manner.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:31 PM

4. Why the hell have to go to a voting place at all?

I live in Oregon and we vote by mail. That should be the least of the things we do to ease voting.

If we can transact trillions of dollars of trades and other banking transactions securely online I think we could find a way to provide secure online voting.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #4)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:46 AM

10. in California you don't have to go to a polling place. are you paying attention?

you can vote by mail.

you can vote early at the polls.

you can have a ballot sent to you, fill it out at home and walk to your poling place and drop it off.

you can vote in person on election day.

California's handling of elections and options for voting and registration are awesome, probably the best in the country.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:54 AM

6. And we encourage voting by mail

My first vote in California was cast in someone's garage. The two I walked past on Tuesday were in a senior residence and a fire station. My favorite polling place - no longer one, alas - was the Starbuck's at 9th and Irving in San Francisco.

I'm a permanent mail voter now, but when I voted in person I don't think I've ever had to wait more than a minute or two.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 02:12 AM

7. Lived in Cali most of my life

And never waited more than 5-10 min to vote. I lived all over the bay area in some big cities to. Voted at schools, churches, public buildings etc everyone always helpful and polite. I even lived a few years in Modesto in red country and still voting was easy....

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:59 AM

8. And... the last 3 polling places have been within walking distance for me in L.A. proper.

And that says a lot in L.A.!

No line for me at all this time, in and out in 10 minutes. Went in around 2pm I think.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:44 AM

9. 10 minutes max

easy peazy to vote in CA

Though I wish mine was the lifeguard station in Venice, now that would be like party dude!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 01:02 PM

12. Pennsylvania

Has many many polling places. We might have lines in the morning before work. You can only vote at one place, but there are probably 100+ in my county alone.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread