The Guardian, Sunday 16 December 2012 16.55 GMT
A medical tribunal will on Monday consider whether a former army doctor is fit to continue to practise after finding that he acted in a misleading and dishonest way after the death of Baha Mousa, a Basra hotel worker who died in British military custody in Iraq in 2003.
Derek Keilloh also failed to protect other detainees, said a panel of the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) yesterday. Keilloh, who had denied any cover-up, had claimed he only saw dried blood around the nose of Mousa, who had 93 separate injuries after being arrested and beaten by soldiers.
The hotel receptionist, who had been hooded with a sandbag for 24 hours, sustained injuries including fractured ribs and a broken nose during the final 36 hours of his life in the custody of the 1st Battalion, Queen's Lancashire Regiment. Keilloh, who now works as a GP in Mayford House surgery in Northallerton, North Yorkshire, denied any knowledge of such injuries.
The MPTS panel, sitting in Manchester, is part of the General Medical Council, the doctors' professional regulator. It said Keilloh knew of the injuries to Mousa but failed to conduct an adequate examination of the body. He also failed to assess other detainees, protect them from further mistreatment or tell senior officers what was going on.