HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » House GOP Bill Would Actu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:48 AM

House GOP Bill Would Actually End Welfare Reform Work Requirements

Source: Talking Points Memo

Republicans have embraced a widely debunked premise to attack President Obama for “gutting” welfare reform. But a House GOP bill that has already cleared a major committee would actually ax the welfare program’s work requirements, according to Congress’ nonpartisan referee.

The legislation — H.R. 4297, The Workforce Investment Improvement Act — was unveiled in March by Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC) and cosponsored by six Republican colleagues. Among them was Education & Workforce Chairman John Kline (R-MN), who passed the bill through his committee in June.

The measure is aimed at streamlining workforce training by letting states slash redundant programs and consolidate them with the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) welfare program — into one Workforce Investment Fund (WIF). States would be given so much flexibility that the restrictions in the 1996 welfare law need no longer apply, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.

“Thus, for example, if TANF funds were consolidated into the WIF, TANF program requirements (e.g., work requirements) may no longer apply to that portion of funding because the TANF funding would not exist (i.e., it would be part of the WIF and thus subject to WIF program requirements),” CRS concluded in a memo.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/PDF/CRS-TANFWaiverAuthorityMemo.pdf

Read more: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/house-gop-bill-end-welfare-reform-work-requirent.php?ref=fpa

7 replies, 1866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply House GOP Bill Would Actually End Welfare Reform Work Requirements (Original post)
kpete Sep 2012 OP
goclark Sep 2012 #1
oldsarge54 Sep 2012 #2
mac56 Sep 2012 #3
patrice Sep 2012 #4
trailmonkee Sep 2012 #5
montanacowboy Sep 2012 #6
KinMd Sep 2012 #7

Response to kpete (Original post)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:53 AM

1. Thanks for letting us know -- Kick

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:54 AM

2. And Republicans say

Stop doing what we suggest. Stop offering compromises. AND STOP FACT CHECKING US.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:54 AM

3. They truly are less bothered by hypocrisy than normal people are.

Unbelievable.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:55 AM

4. I wonder if there aren't Teahadist entities which intend to follow the Reagan model,

by means of which he supposedly single-handedly brought down the Soviet Union, that is, kind of like "the good santa", spend them into financial ruin and, thus, in this instance, break the federal government and a variety of federal programs up by over-extending it and them.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM

5. it's not even chess vs. checkers with these guys any more... it's chess vs. rock/paper/scissors.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 11:04 AM

6. Well, I guess I can kiss my job goodbye

Virginia Foxx - no more needs to be said

So what they accuse the President of, they do themselves - when is this madness going to end

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 11:11 AM

7. The bill wont even come up in the Senate

...just more babble from the House kooks

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread