HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » New meteor seen Friday ni...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:52 PM

New meteor seen Friday night across Northern California

Source: San Jose Mercury News

Reports of a huge shooting star overheard sent many readers to social media Friday evening, closing out a week graced by heavenly wonders like an asteroid passing close by earlier in the day and an unrelated meteor that fell to earth in Russia late Thursday.

... So you could say it was pretty amazing that people were surprised to look up a little bit after 7:40 p.m. Pacific time and see something big and bright flash across the sky overhead.

Read more: http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22601594/reaction-meteor-leaves-northern-california-starstruck

2 replies, 894 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply New meteor seen Friday night across Northern California (Original post)
Newsjock Feb 2013 OP
NRaleighLiberal Feb 2013 #1
uppityperson Feb 2013 #2

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 12:01 AM

1. I am a bit of an astronomy buff - to me, it is not out of the realm of possibility

that the asteroid that made a close fly by had some small chunks associated with it...but that is just speculation on my part. I did some reading on asteroids and was just amazed at how many there are, the size range, the number we probably don't even know about (since they could be quite small)....there is much more "stuff" out there in our solar system than I realized!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 12:36 AM

2. My spouse read that the Russian meteorite and the asteroid came from different directions, but you

just never know. it is all very interesting and neat.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread