HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Boxer blames GOP leadersh...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 06:20 AM

Boxer blames GOP leadership for Election Day dysfunctions

Boxer blames GOP leadership for Election Day dysfunctions
By Ramsey Cox - 11/20/12 12:49 PM ET

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) said Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) could have prevented voting problems on Election Day, if the two lawmakers had recommended nominees to the U.S. Election Assistance Commission.

“I believe the dysfunction we witnessed may have been reduced had this Commission been fully staffed and operational,” Boxer wrote in a letter to Boehner and McConnell on Monday.

Boxer said Republican leaders haven’t recommended people for their two seats on the bipartisan commission — established in 2002 — while pointing out that Democratic leaders have.

“I hope that you will take immediate action to make these recommendations so that we can get the Election Assistance Commission working again, and let the American people know that the government is protecting their fundamental right to vote,” the letter stated.

The Election Assistance Commission (EAC) was formed to help implement the Help America Vote Act, which aims to ensure voter access to the polls and protect voter rights. But Boxer said because the Senate hasn’t confirmed the appointments of commissioners, the commission hasn’t held a meeting since 2011.

more...

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/268909-boxer-blames-gop-leadership-for-election-day-dysfunctions

5 replies, 676 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boxer blames GOP leadership for Election Day dysfunctions (Original post)
babylonsister Nov 2012 OP
Grateful for Hope Nov 2012 #1
madinmaryland Nov 2012 #2
babylonsister Nov 2012 #3
starroute Nov 2012 #4
democrattotheend Nov 2012 #5

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 07:41 AM

1. K&R

We need to hold these idiots accountable.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 07:57 AM

2. I read that as: "GOP has Electile Disfunction" Calling Bob Dole!!

I need to get more coffee in me.

Reply to this post

Response to madinmaryland (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 08:05 AM

3. Ha! That, too! :) nt

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 09:58 AM

4. One more reason to rein in the filibuster

The GOP is making government dysfunctional on purpose -- not only so that it can't oversea their actions and those of the corporations but also as a Norquistian talking point for why government should be dismantled.

Getting a bunch more judges, agency heads, and commission members confirmed should be a top priority for the next session of Congress. But it can't happen without filibuster reform.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:31 AM

5. She was the only one to take a stand in 2004

She objected to certifying the election results to call attention to the voting irregularities. Glad she is still focused on this. Just because we won doesn't mean there were not a lot of problems that need to be fixed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread