HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Michael Reagan (son of Ro...

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:38 PM

Michael Reagan (son of Ronald): "...it’s time for Republicans to start blaming George W."

Wow. NOW Republicans want to copycat us and start Bush-blaming? So says Michael Reagan:

Democrats have been blaming George W. Bush for the last four years.

Now I think it’s time for Republicans to start blaming George W. for the next four years.

For a week we’ve been pinning last week’s debacle on everything from Mitt Romney’s moderation to low Republican turnout.

But the most important Republican who didn’t turn out to support Romney this fall was George W. Bush.

You can make an honest argument that G.W. was as much to blame as anyone else for our being unable to defeat an incompetent incumbent of historic proportions.

OH REALLY? The GWB whose approvals rating began deflating so fast in his second term he never showed up on the campaign trail for any Republicans since 2006?

As Cenk would say, "it gets better"...

G.W., the ex-cheerleader, was nowhere to be seen or heard during Romney’s campaign. What’s worse, he didn’t even defend his own economic record. He let the conservatives on talk radio and at Fox News do it.

The trouble is talk radio and Fox only reach about 20 million people during a week – and most of them are already in the conservative Republican choir.

Last I checked, 121 million Americans voted on Election Day. That left us Republicans with 101 million people who still needed to hear our message about who’s really to blame for the broken economy of 2008 to 2012.

While the evil radio overlords are dismantling progressive talk radio (first KPOJ in Portland the Friday after Election Day then AM 1090 in Seattle come the new year) I guess we have hope now that a prominent right winger is now admitting that conservative talk radio/Fox Boobs don't work with most Americans?

Michael Reagan finishes his sob story:

The 2012 campaign was all about “the economy, stupid.” Obama blamed G.W. and Republicans. Plus, he had Clinton and Carter bashing G.W.’s record with their bully sticks every day and countering Romney’s arguments that Obama was to blame.

We should have had G.W. standing up and saying, “This is bull. I’m tired of this. This is what I did or did not do with the economy as president. The real culprits are Dodd & Frank and four years of Obama’s failed policies.”

Some comments about this article on the Dark Side (F.R.) forum:

"I don’t blame GW one bit, he doesn’t owe anyone anything, most of all the GOP that didn’t have his back when he needed it the most."

(Another Freeper simply commented: "Family of Secrets". Wow, they read Russ Baker too?)

"If President George Bush had said anything it would have been spun and turned against Romney to strengthen Boama." (Freeper's spelling not mine)

"Romney, and the GOP-e, campaigned as moderates and that turned-off a large number of the conservative/TEA Party base." (Oh come on you and I know that is BS)

"Almost certainly not GW's choice. He was so successfully demonized by the D's that it was probably decided by the Republican establishment the his involvement would be a negative."

"Michael Reagan is off base on this one...Romney lost because Romney disengaged and because Romney spent his attack money poorly and because Romney used the media poorly."

34 replies, 3308 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 34 replies Author Time Post
Reply Michael Reagan (son of Ronald): "...it’s time for Republicans to start blaming George W." (Original post)
alp227 Nov 2012 OP
BlueCaliDem Nov 2012 #1
Panasonic Nov 2012 #2
alp227 Nov 2012 #3
Raine Nov 2012 #18
alp227 Nov 2012 #20
brokechris Nov 2012 #21
brokechris Nov 2012 #22
alp227 Nov 2012 #24
NYC Liberal Nov 2012 #4
Tutonic Nov 2012 #7
kestrel91316 Nov 2012 #10
pintobean Nov 2012 #11
Panasonic Nov 2012 #16
brokechris Nov 2012 #23
zbdent Nov 2012 #5
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #6
Volaris Nov 2012 #13
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #25
Volaris Nov 2012 #30
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #31
Volaris Nov 2012 #32
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #34
jwirr Nov 2012 #8
rock Nov 2012 #9
ProSense Nov 2012 #12
Cha Nov 2012 #14
David Zephyr Nov 2012 #15
johnq45 Nov 2012 #17
AndrewP Nov 2012 #19
KharmaTrain Nov 2012 #26
RebelOne Nov 2012 #28
butterfly77 Nov 2012 #27
Tom Ripley Nov 2012 #29
slampoet Nov 2012 #33

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:41 PM

1. This Rightwinger was a regular on Fox "News" Channel in Duhbya's day

and Bush the Lesser could do NO wrong. Now he wants to pretend he wasn't just another cheerleader for Bush/Cheney and act like he had nothing to do with supporting the disaster that is Bush?? He speaketh with forked tongue . . .

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:42 PM

2. Ahem. Adopted son of Ronald Reagan.

Not a blood relative.

Reply to this post

Response to Panasonic (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:44 PM

3. True, but he's still a son regardless.

Ronald Reagan raised Michael, and Michael is still a proud conservative who even wrote a book "The New Reagan Revolution", so I will keep my subject title.

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:10 PM

18. Actually he wasn't raised by Ronald Reagan, Nancy didn't want the children from Ronnie's 1st

marriage around. Jane Wyman Ronnie's first wife raised him. In her book Patty said her and Ron Jr. didn't even know about him till he was a teen-ager and came to stay with them for awhile. I think Michael tries hard to out Reagan Reagan since he was so excluded. Maureen, Reagan's daughter from his 1st marriage said she would have to literally push her way passed Nancy to see her father. Ironically in the end Maureen was Nancy's rock to lean on as Ronnie got deeper and deeper into Alzheimers. Unfortunately for Nancy Maureen was not there at the end to help, she died before Ronnie from skin cancer.

Reply to this post

Response to Raine (Reply #18)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:20 PM

20. Huh? Michael went to boarding school, according to wikipedia.

Michael grew up with the Reagan family in Beverly Hills, California, and later nearby Pacific Palisades. He was sent to boarding school when he was six and spent a total of four days per month visiting his father and mother. One childhood story he has told that introduced him to politics was how at the age of 8, he asked his father for a raise in his allowance. At the time, around 1953, his allowance was $1 a week. Ronald Reagan said that since he was paying 90 percent of his earnings to the federal government as income tax, he was not able to increase Michael's allowance. This, according to Michael, was how he was introduced to the subject of tax cuts and how that affected people.

Ronald was far from absent from Michael's life.

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #20)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:25 PM

21. for a while, when Reagan was governor

the kids lived in Sacramento (they didn't use the regular governor's mansion). I have a cousin (removed a bit) who attended the same fancy private school as one of the Reagan kids (I think Ronnie) and they even hung out together a few times. This cousin met Reagan and thought he was a very personable and nice person. He found Nancy to be an uncaring bitch. For what it is worth.

At least Ronnie went to a fancy schmantzy school--but not boarding.

Reply to this post

Response to brokechris (Reply #21)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:27 PM

22. I think Nancy sent the kids from

the previous marriage away--and let her OWN kids live with them. Uncaring cold bitch. But Reagan must have been an enabler to let her treat his flesh and blood that way.

Reply to this post

Response to brokechris (Reply #21)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 08:27 PM

24. Umm, cool story, but what does this have to do with Michael again?

And Michael graduated high school 4 years before Ronald became governor.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:47 PM

4. Maureen was right wing, but Ron Jr & Patti are liberals

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:17 PM

7. Ahem. Does that make him less of a son?

n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:41 PM

10. Not relevant. And your remark is highly insulting and hurtful to adoptees everywhere.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:56 PM

11. Jury results

I think it was handled just fine in this thread. No alert was required.

At Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:41 PM an alert was sent on the following post:

Ahem. Adopted son of Ronald Reagan.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=1839400

REASON FOR ALERT:

This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate. (See <a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=aboutus#communitystandards" target="_blank">Community Standards</a>.)

ALERTER'S COMMENTS:

Hateful toward adoptees. SHAME!!

You served on a randomly-selected Jury of DU members which reviewed this post. The review was completed at Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:51 PM, and the Jury voted 1-5 to LEAVE IT.

Juror #1 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: There is nothing wrong with this post. There is however something wrong with the Alertee alerting on this post.
Damn PC Police Strikes again. Knock it off!
Juror #2 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: I think the alerter is fucking around.
Juror #3 voted to HIDE IT and said: No explanation given
Juror #4 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: Alert abuse.
Juror #5 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: The truth is the truth. If that is hurtful, God forbid the alerter actually steps out into the real world.
Juror #6 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: Oh bullshit. It's a factual statement. What the fuck is hateful about it? Shame on this stupid alert.

Reply to this post

Response to pintobean (Reply #11)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 05:49 PM

16. I had no intention of insulting adoptees.

I know a few.

Just pointing out that MR is not RR's blood

Reply to this post

Response to Panasonic (Reply #16)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:28 PM

23. but that doesn't really matter---

unless we are wondering if he has a genetic disposition to Alzheimers.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:53 PM

5. After allowing a whole campain season of Rs saying "Why is Obama blaming Bush for everything? - Stop

Blaming Bush for everything" ...

the "liberally-biased media" will allow Republicans to claim that "blaming Bush" was originated by them!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:54 PM

6. That's the only way the GOP can make a comeback - blast the shrub.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:45 PM

13. Yep. The sooner they start doing it for the CORRECT REASONS,

they can begin down the Long Road to national redemption as a viable political party.
But first they must embrace BLAME.

Reply to this post

Response to Volaris (Reply #13)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:03 AM

25. Personally I think the GOP is on a slow march toward death.

What replaces it will almost certainly be worse.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #25)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:47 PM

30. lol, Well, that IS the other alternative....

Reply to this post

Response to Volaris (Reply #30)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:53 PM

31. Frankly I'd rather have the GOP than what will follow.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #31)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 04:19 PM

32. Ain't THAT the truth...

At least the GOP can maybe re-learn to act like a National Party of "loyal opposition", and get some things done, even IF those things happen more slowly than some of us less fearful and cautious personality types would like.

Here's food for thought: How much FUN would it be right now to be an elected GOP Establishment type, and have the balls to start cracking heads in front of TV cameras? Just to have the rank and spine to go find Sen. Rubio the next time he's on a fox camera, grab him by the scruff of the neck, and tell him "SCIENCE, and don't EVER do that again.", and then just walk away to leave him to explain his humilation to the viewing masses.

Reply to this post

Response to Volaris (Reply #32)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 08:00 PM

34. She BLINDED me with SCIENCE!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:26 PM

8. Interesting how he forgets his own fathers roll in this trickle down mess.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:34 PM

9. (Freeper's spelling not mine) -- Aptly it is called "sic"

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:00 PM

12. He just wants to take the focus off Mitt.

Suck it Republicans! You own Bush, McCain, Palin and Mitt, who aspired to be worse than Bush.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 05:08 PM

14. "Incompetent Incumbant"?

Michael Reagan is full of shit

Newsflash for shithead.. bush is a demon..so's your romney candidate. Next?

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 05:11 PM

15. Ronald & Nancy never invited the Bushes to dine with them in the White House

There is no love lost between the Reagans and the Bushes.

My library is filled with books and clippings on the Bush family since the 1930's. Vice President George Herbert Walker Bush and his cohorts wrapped Ronald Reagan's presidency in Iran-Contra. So much so, that Oliver North commented, when Ronald Reagan died and his body was in route to Washington, DC. to lie in state, that he would leave town so as not to upset the former First Lady, Nancy Reagan, with his presence there.

When George Bush ran for President, he and his wife Barbara were in Los Angeles for a fund-raiser. Throughout that period, Ronald and Nancy had carefully dodged being photographed with the couple. The evening of the LA fundraiser, George and Barbara and the Secret Service drove to the Reagan home in a caravan...essentially to force a photo-op with Ronald and Nancy. The Reagans would not open their gated entryway to the Bushes. After a very, very long wait (filmed by local LA News), Ronald and Nancy (with the craft of actors) finally came down to the gated entrance where the Bushes and their entourage and the local television news cameras were recording with so much lighting that it looked like daylight.

And what did Ronald and Nancy do? They showed up wearing their PAJAMAS and night robes like they'd been disturbed by it all, but nonetheless, they smiled and gave George and Barbara Bush their photo-op. George and Barbara in formal attire and the Reagans in pajamas. A photo so ridiculous that it could never be used by Bush's campaign.

There's so much "there" there that I could write for hours on this subject. But to see even rightwing Michael Reagan now finally point the finger at that monstrous Bush family is gratifying to me on many levels.

The Bush family should be blamed, not just by Democrats, but by Republicans as well. They have done more damage to this nation than any single family in our American history.

So, I am enjoying this. Very much.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 06:21 PM

17. Well its only fair we begin....................

to once again blame Bush! The right blamed Clinton the entire time Bush was in office!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:14 PM

19. Bush is an intellectual Bantamweight, so he really isn't qualified to be defending himself

He needs his group of apologists in the media to help him, and now that they have cut him off he is useless.

Can you imagine him speaking off of the cuff and wowing people like Clinton does with his knowledge of the issues? Of course you can't, because he isn't capable.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:19 AM

26. Yet Another "Blame The Messenger"...

Gotta love this line...

Last I checked, 121 million Americans voted on Election Day. That left us Republicans with 101 million people who still needed to hear our message about who’s really to blame for the broken economy of 2008 to 2012.

So I guess according to Mikey...there's not enough hate radio and Bullshit Mountain out there? And it's cause George Herbert Hoover Dubya boooosh spent the day before the elections making big coin in the Caymans rather than campaigning for Willard? And Mittens tried to avoid dubya at ever turn...his name was NEVER invoked during the campaign. He wasn't invited to the convention or even for a photo op. And this was whose fault??

While over 100 million Americans aren't stupid enough to buy into the "Conservative Entertainment Complex" it doesn't mean they didn't hear the rushpublican "message" last year and thoroughly rejected it.

Fortunately we have the REAL Reagan on our side:

Reply to this post

Response to KharmaTrain (Reply #26)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:38 PM

28. Why couldn't Ron set Michael straight? n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:22 PM

27. I blame them all..

and will continue to do so,they just don't get it but they will whether they know it or not.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:48 PM

29. Angry? Comfused? Stupid? His biological father was all Three Stooges...

a Hollywood scientific miracle

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 04:43 PM

33. I blame Michael Reagan's robo calls about the bridge issue for loosing Michigan for the GOP

Those calls motivated a lot of Democratic voters to come out to the polls.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread