HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Inside Adam Savage’s Tool...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 08:46 PM

Inside Adam Savage’s Toolbox

Back when I was a professional model-maker at Industrial Light & Magic, my specialty was hard-edged construction—spaceships, miniature sets, and architectural stuff. These objects were sometimes just 12 inches across yet needed enough detail to fill a movie screen. One, for example, was the background I made of the Tipoca City building for the Obi-Wan-Jango Fett fight in episode two of Star Wars.

This work required a fine eye for detail—and tons of tools. By the time I moved to MythBusters in 2003, I had well over 300 items in my model-making kit. (Complete list here.) Of course, I love tools. I also love arranging them, to the point where I came up with a name for my organizing metric: first-order retrievability. It’s a function of two particular parts of my personality.

One: I like to work fast. I despise not having the right tool or, worse, knowing I have it but not being able to find it. It’s a pointless delay that wrecks my pace—and mood.

Two: I’m obsessed with the form of a toolbox. The idea of a portable kit that has everything you might need ignites something inside me. It’s like Batman’s utility belt.

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/08/inside-adam-savages-toolbox/

2 replies, 958 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Inside Adam Savage’s Toolbox (Original post)
DainBramaged Aug 2012 OP
mysuzuki2 Aug 2012 #1
rocktivity Aug 2012 #2

Response to DainBramaged (Original post)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 09:07 PM

1. I'd rather see the iside of DON Savages toolbox.

Okay, not really.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DainBramaged (Original post)

Wed Aug 22, 2012, 09:30 PM

2. He's turned having access to his tools into a science in itself?

Big baby.

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread