So I went on another trip and I have another air travel story to tell. I really thought this was going to be the one where I would get through without being picked out for anything, but, no such luck. Actually, it was my husband's luggage that got randomly checked by TSA, though you can't tell his luggage from mine since they're basically interchangeable. We found the card in the luggage that stated that TSA had gone through his things. He searched to see if anything was missing and discovered that his razor had been removed. He had used it in the morning but when he came home and unpacked, it wasn't where he had packed it.
So I'm here to ask, why would TSA want a used razor, if not because they were planning to collect DNA? That sounds so GATTICA, it's crazy.
How many people manage to get through these things without incident? Because I swear, when you combine coming and going either I will get tapped for a search, or someone in my family will at least nine out of ten trips.
3. When they're getting into DNA seizures it must be crossing the line.
Edited on Sun Oct-31-10 11:44 PM by The Backlash Cometh
I can't imagine they have the right to do it to someone unless they have probable cause. And the only thing my husband is guilty of is having a lapse in good judgment by marrying me. That said, it would not surprise me if someday they pull me in and say, "We want you to keep quiet or we'll find some crime scene to plant something that might affect someone you love."
Yep, I am losing confidence in our justice system. I can believe it might happen someday.
That's the most common reason for women to get patted down. They will set off the metal detector every time. My wife travels in a sports bra with no such stuff in it. She just walks right through the metal detector, collects her carefully-packed carry-on, her shoes, and proceeds to the gate. Every time.
Is all this stuff inconvenient? A little, I suppose, but the hassle is almost 100% avoidable. Visiting my 86-year-old parents in California? Priceless.
20. Nope, no wire bra. I just remember the days when going to
catch a flight was enjoyable. We didn't even think about metal detectors, taking off shoes (!), etc. We walked to the gate with no interference other than checking in. For me, the hassle shouldn't even exist. Terrorists will work around it all....unfortunately, someday I think we'll be reminded of that.
....would do an EXPOS-E on what the legal powers of TSA really are from inspecting your suitcase in the bag room to doing body scans...
It would be interesting to see if when we buy a plane ticket if within the purchase agreement we give consent...as a airline employee I have yet to find anything that says they are the TOP COP for traveling in this country..
Perhaps you could call the airport and ask them for it back.....
5. I don't think they can take anything of that sort.
It was either stolen or misplaced. Here's their prohibited/allowed items page. All the sharp objects they list can be in your checked luggage. The items that can not be taken in checked bags generally make sense -- flares, gunpowder. I'm surprised to see spray paint on the list, but whatever.
Apparently the way to deal with missing items is to call them. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/editorial_1693.sh... Even if you don't get it back, presumably the fact it went missing might be recorded somewhere and eventually be a negative mark on their work. (Ok, a very very small negative mark.)
6. Maybe it fell out, and they forgot to put it back in?
Sorry, but the idea that these TSA guys are stealing DNA strikes me as a little bit ridiculous. Basically, my take on the whole airport security thing is that it's 50% show to make the public feel better, 3% actual chance at catching terrorists, and 47% looking for the hippie with the bag of WEED!!!!!!!!!!!! in his carry-on.
8. My wife and I have never been through any extra screening, our
bags have never had anything missing, despite a couple of bag checks, nor have we ever even beeped the metal detector. We just don't do or carry anything that causes any alarms to go off. We only travel a couple of times a year, though, so that may be the reason. I don't know.
23. I think it's random, but I happen to get picked quite often
The small part of my family that came from Ireland came over multiple generations ago. I've never been to Ireland, and neither has anyone in my family (including cousins). The idea that I could be somehow connected to the IRA is laughable.
I think once I flew with an open ended ticket, that's why I got searched that time. I've bought a lot of last min tickets for vacations (meaning just a few days beforehand) and I've flown on stand-by a lot.
Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators
Important Notices: By participating on this discussion
board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules
page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the
opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent
the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.