Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login

Filing back taxes?

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
Home » Discuss » DU Groups » Economy & Jobs » Personal Finance and Investing Group Donate to DU
Pool Hall Ace Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jul-14-11 05:17 PM
Original message
Filing back taxes?
I've always heard that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but this one may qualify.

I'm in the process of filing for bankruptcy, and I've been told to bring copies of recent years' tax returns. However, I stopped working in 2004, and returned to work in 2010 (I filed in 2010, and I have a copy of that return).

So how does one file when there is no income, no W-2, etc.? I had no idea tax returns were to be filed when there was no income. :dunce:

Refresh | 0 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
A HERETIC I AM Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Sat Jul-16-11 08:09 PM
Response to Original message
1. You really shouldn't be afraid to call your local IRS office about this.

Since you haven't had any taxable income from '04 thru '10, you aren't liable for any income taxes. It isn't as if you have avoided paying, it is, if what you say is true (!) that you don't owe anything anyway.

So....just call them and ask the same question. As I mentioned in another thread, it might take you a little legwork on the phone to find someone who will answer your question correctly, they WILL give you the right answer and you can stay anonymous.

The reason I suggest calling the IRS is because they may have a form for exactly this circumstance and if they do, they can tell you how to find it on their website in .pdf form that you can print out.

I must say again that I am by NO MEANS a qualified tax consultant, nor am I an attorney. My history involved providing services as a Financial Consultant. So PLEASE make sure you get the correct and legal procedure. I really think the best way to do it is by calling the IRS directly. Many people think they are some sort of horrible institution, but trust me on this, most of the folks you will talk to at the Internal Revenue Service are just that - folks. And they have heard it all and they can sympathize and give you the correct answer. If you get a dickhead on the phone, ask to speak to his/her supervisor. Their duty is to serve the taxpayer.

Patience is a virtue! And you might need it in this regard, but you WILL get the right answer.

Last thing; I've mentioned in other threads in this group that their website is fairly easy to navigate and search, it's just that reading the minutia can be tedious. Give it a try, though.

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
elleng Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Sat Jul-16-11 08:50 PM
Response to Reply #1
2. I agree; IRS personnel are very helpful, as well as friendly. 'FOLKS.'
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
DU AdBot (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view 
this author's profile Click to add 
this author to your buddy list Click to add 
this author to your Ignore list Thu Jan 18th 2018, 07:06 PM
Response to Original message
Advertisements [?]

Home » Discuss » DU Groups » Economy & Jobs » Personal Finance and Investing Group Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators

Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC