Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login

Tax question re: volunteering expenses

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
Home » Discuss » DU Groups » Economy & Jobs » Personal Finance and Investing Group Donate to DU
Tanuki Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Wed Jun-01-11 10:12 AM
Original message
Tax question re: volunteering expenses
I have volunteered informally teaching English to recent immigrants, and would like to improve my skills by taking courses and obtaining certification. I will only use these skills as a volunteer, as I have a career in an unrelated field. Would I be able to deduct the cost of my tuition and expenses?
Refresh | 0 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
A HERETIC I AM Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri Jun-03-11 11:26 PM
Response to Original message
1. From a 5 minute read on, it doesn't appear so...but you might have an alternative.
Edited on Fri Jun-03-11 11:30 PM by A HERETIC I AM
IRS Publication 526 deals with Charitable giving.

Here's a link to the table of contents page;
Under "Contributions you can deduct" check out "Out of pocket expenses while giving services".

It does not mention anything about taking classes needed during the course of doing volunteer work.

Here is the alternative which may provide some method for doing what you seek.

IRS Publication 970 deals with education expenses and what is deductible;

You may find a way to deduct the costs associated with the classes you intend to take in that publication.

I am in no way a Tax attorney and for this question, if you can't find the answer on the IRS website, I would strongly suggest you ask an attorney. You should also consider calling your local IRS office directly. While it is possible you may spend some time on the phone finding the person who can answer your question, they are after all, there to help and if you are entitled to the deduction, they will tell you.

Good luck and kudos on your efforts.
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
DU AdBot (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view 
this author's profile Click to add 
this author to your buddy list Click to add 
this author to your Ignore list Sun Jan 21st 2018, 02:00 AM
Response to Original message
Advertisements [?]

Home » Discuss » DU Groups » Economy & Jobs » Personal Finance and Investing Group Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators

Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC