Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login

Question about Sex Offenders entering Canada for a visit

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » Places » Canada Donate to DU
Hawkeye-X Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Wed Jun-14-06 11:39 AM
Original message
Question about Sex Offenders entering Canada for a visit

I have a friend who wants to go to Canada in September to attend his brother-in-law's wedding to a Canadian. He is a registered sex offender in the United States, and almost out of his federal-mandated probation. He has asked me to find information for him on whether or not Canadians authorities allow entry to a felon or a ex-felon for a brief visit to Canada. He has been in treatment and has a extremely low chance of recividism. My friend is more than willing to do what is necessary to comply with Canadian law, but does not have a passport, but notified his PO about the wedding, and PO said it is possible if everything goes well.

So any links or information will help tremendously for my buddy.


Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
Spazito Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Wed Jun-14-06 12:01 PM
Response to Original message
1. Here is some info I found on criminal inadmissibility to Canada
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
GirlinContempt Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Wed Jun-14-06 02:04 PM
Response to Original message
2. He should contact the Canadian Embassy
There are embassies in
Washington DC
Los Angeles
New York
San Diego
San Francisco / Silicon Valley
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
Jazz2006 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jun-15-06 09:01 PM
Response to Original message
3. How far in the future is the wedding?
Your friend will not likely be allowed to enter Canada while he is still on probation for purposes of attending a wedding.

While exceptions are sometimes made on compassionate grounds, etc., they are pretty much reserved for funerals of close family members or for purposes of visiting a terminally ill family member, things like that.

The wedding of a brother-in-law is not likely to be deemed a sufficient basis to thaw the cold hearts of the customs and immigration people.

Even after the probation period ends, there is a lengthy waiting period before the person can apply to be allowed into the country and, in the case of sexual offences, the customs & immigration people are likely to take a very close look at the circumstances of the offence and the offender, all of which also takes time, if they will entertain the request at all before the usual waiting period.

That said, it doesn't hurt to try ~ but depending how far in the future the wedding is, your friend should probably start looking into the process asap. He can get the necessary guides, application forms and instructions here:

Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
DU AdBot (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view 
this author's profile Click to add 
this author to your buddy list Click to add 
this author to your Ignore list Thu Apr 27th 2017, 08:56 AM
Response to Original message
Advertisements [?]

Home » Discuss » Places » Canada Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators

Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC