Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login

buying a car out of state

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » The DU Lounge Donate to DU
yolatengo Donating Member (282 posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Tue May-25-04 11:05 AM
Original message
buying a car out of state
Hey DUer's, can you help?

I'll be in Illinois soon on business. I've been in contact with someone to
purchase a historic vehicle. I'd like to drive it home to Maryland. How do I
do it legally? It has a clear title, and I have a bill of sale form for Maryland,
but since I haven't bought it yet, I won't 'own' it until he transfers the title
to me, but then he'll want to take the plates.

I really just need to get it home; I can go straight to the MVA if I have to
with the title (I may register it Historic, I may get it fully inspected and
get regular plates) and at least get Temp Tags, but what to do in the
meantime (er, the 600 mile trip?).

thanks for any help,

Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
LynneSin Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Tue May-25-04 11:09 AM
Response to Original message
1. It should be just like buying a regular car out of state
You might need to take it someplace in Illinois to get a temporary license (a notoray I think) and then when you get back to Maryland you can apply for your permament state.

When I sold cars in Pennsylvania, we would get folks from NJ, DE and even NY to buy cars from our dealership. We would always provide them something temporary to use on their car until they get home
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
BlueJazz Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Tue May-25-04 11:15 AM
Response to Original message
2. I did the same thing (years ago)
Edited on Tue May-25-04 11:22 AM by Radicalliberal
What I did:

Since I wasn't absolutely sure that the car was "road worthy"
(this applies to all automobiles but ESPECIALLY an old car)...
I rented a U-haul truck...I think it was a 20 footer and cost me about 100 bucks for 1500 miles.
I drove the old car into the truck, tied it down and went my merry way.
The gas was only a little more...I'd would have had to have paid for fuel in the old car anyway but as a bonus, I also had insurance on the cargo (the old car)

On Edit: And of course, I didn't have to worry about the old car breaking down and being stuck in some remote region and having to depend on some garage trying to find parts for an out-of-date automobile.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
pagerbear Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Tue May-25-04 11:17 AM
Response to Original message
3. Check the DMV web sites for both states
You might need a temporary registration to get it home, and then you can register it in your home state.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
DU AdBot (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view 
this author's profile Click to add 
this author to your buddy list Click to add 
this author to your Ignore list Thu Jul 20th 2017, 07:53 AM
Response to Original message
Advertisements [?]

Home » Discuss » The DU Lounge Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators

Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC