You are viewing an obsolete version of the DU website which is no longer supported by the Administrators. Visit The New DU.
Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Reply #33: Are your arms tired? [View All]

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion (1/22-2007 thru 12/14/2010) Donate to DU
Statistical Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Thu Jul-01-10 09:09 AM
Response to Reply #32
33. Are your arms tired?
Edited on Thu Jul-01-10 09:10 AM by Statistical
Those goal posts must be heavy.

"A better system to make it work would be to provide a safety net to all Americans but the upper class."

Why? The rich only get back 15% of wages above $4856 a month. The other 85% of the contributions they pay help provide solvency for the system. There is no reason to remove them from the program. They paid the contributions, they earned the benefit. By keeping them in the system SS retains universality and the rich get lower return on their contributions. Win-win.

Your two schemes (ending payroll taxes & means test) would only serve to undermine SS. It would be crippled and rolled back, and eventually new employees given the option of opting-out. You would accomplish what Republicans haven't been able to do in 60 years.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 

Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion (1/22-2007 thru 12/14/2010) Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC