You are viewing an obsolete version of the DU website which is no longer supported by the Administrators. Visit The New DU.
Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Reply #26: this is what he said and its wishful thinking or pure BS [View All]

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion (Through 2005) Donate to DU
kodi Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Fri Dec-12-03 07:25 PM
Response to Reply #25
26. this is what he said and its wishful thinking or pure BS
this is from your link on Kerry's policy initative:

"I have a plan to reduce America's dependence on oil by 2 million barrels a day about the same amount we import from the Persian Gulf through investment in clean energy technologies that will increase efficiency and allow us to capitalize on domestic and renewable sources of energy. No foreign government can embargo this type of energy and no terrorist can seize control of it.


But that is only 10% of US daily consumption, of oil. it does not refer to total US energy consumption, which includes coal, nuclear and natural gas. there is no mention listed on the differentiation between reducing consumption via increased efficiencies versus increasing alternative energy sources to acheive that target of 2M barrels/day, and the numbers Kerry is using are the very best case scenarios if all his programs are initiated, and IF they pass congressional muster.

the facts are these:

"The United States consumed 19.7 million barrels of oil per day in 2000, more than half of which (10.4 million barrels per day net) came from imports. Imports from the Persian Gulf in 2000 were 2.5 million barrels per day, which amounts to 12.6% of U.S. consumption."

from:
http://www.ott.doe.gov/facts/archives/fotw191.shtml


"Every day and every year we delay, America will continue to pay a high price for our over-reliance on foreign oil. We spend $20 billion annually on oil imports from the Persian Gulf. Instead of indefinitely sending that money to the Middle East, we should launch an energy strategy to invest in the Midwest and in the rest of America, generating new jobs and new technologies here at home. My energy plan will create 500,000 new jobs, produce 20% of American energy from renewable fuels by 2020, and finally end America's dependence on foreign oil in 10 years."

note that Kerry calls on ending US "dependence on foreign oil"

just what the hell does that mean? does it mean NO imports? does it means within 10 years the US will replace the 10.4 million barrels/day (and certainly more by 2014 considering economic growth predictions) of imported oil with energy via other sources, conservation, or just what?

he mentions that he wants 20% of US energy needs to come from renewable domestic fuel sources in 16 years, which logically requires that the other 80% comes from non-renewable domestic sources, since he already stated that according to his plan we wont need foreign oil/fuel sources 6 years before that. but he does not mention how this is to be done, nor what trade-offs should be expected to occur. is he referring to increased use of nuclear power with it concommitent dangers and waste problems, shale oil with its own pollution problems, perhaps actually drill ANWAR? how much money will be invested in solar, tidal, wind, and fusion research and what is the anticipated rate of return and a time line for each area of study.

his statment is mindless gobbledegoope, full of glittering generalities which would not pass muster at a local savings and loan for a new addition to a house.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 

Home » Discuss » Archives » General Discussion (Through 2005) Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC