Victims Beg For Food After Philippine Typhoon [View all]
Source: 7News Yahoo AU (AFP)
December 10, 2012, 12:11 am
NEW BATAAN, Philippines - Desperate families begged for food Sunday, days after a typhoon brought death and destruction to parts of a southern Philippine island, as the storm returned to the north of the country. Northern areas escaped with heavy rain after the storm weakened. But scenes of hardship were everywhere in southern areas that last week felt the full fury of the strongest typhoon to hit the country this year.
Officials said 548 people are confirmed dead, most of them in the southern island of Mindanao. Civil defence chief Benito Ramos said the number of missing had shot up to 827 from previous figures of 500 unaccounted for, after reports of more missing fishermen came in.
In the Mindanao mountain town of New Bataan, which took the brunt of Typhoon Bopha, families lined the roads holding signs begging for food. "Have mercy on us, please donate," read one sign held by a group of ragged children. "We need food," read another sign displayed by a group standing amid ruined banana plantations.
Farmer's wife Madeline Blanco, 36, said her family was trying to make do while sheltering in a tent on a basketball court. "We were given rations but it was not enough. Just rice, bread and noodles. It is not enough for me and my four children," she told AFP.