Centenarian survivors of Pearl Harbor attack are returning to honor those who perished 82 years ago [View all]
By AUDREY McAVOY and CLAIRE RUSH
Updated 3:01 PM CST, December 7, 2023
PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii (AP) Ira Ike Schab had just showered, put on a clean sailors uniform and closed his locker aboard the USS Dobbin when he heard a call for a fire rescue party.
He went topside to see the USS Utah capsizing and Japanese planes in the air. He scurried back below deck to grab boxes of ammunition and joined a daisy chain of sailors feeding shells to an anti-aircraft gun up above. He remembers being only 140 pounds (63.50 kilograms) as a 21-year-old, but somehow finding the strength to lift boxes weighing almost twice that.
We were pretty startled. Startled and scared to death, Schab, now 103, said. We didnt know what to expect and we knew that if anything happened to us, that would be it.
Eighty-two years later, Schab returned to Pearl Harbor Thursday on the anniversary of the attack to remember the more than 2,300 servicemen killed. He was one of five survivors at a ceremony commemorating the assault that propelled the United States into World War II. Six of the increasingly frail men had been expected, but one was not feeling well, organizers said.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/pearl-harbor-attack-anniversary-world-war-ii-cdfd14ffccf0299305d90b61921fc95d