*HELP DUers: Please...we need to get creative!!! (Please K&R) [View all]
Last edited Mon Mar 4, 2013, 09:54 AM - Edit history (3)
[font color="brown"](I was previously given permission by Skinner to post periodically about http://www.wishadoo.org, especially when it involves DUers, with this required disclaimer: "The administrators of Democratic Underground have given permission for one discussion thread on this topic. The administrators of Democratic Underground make no claims regarding the legitimacy or illegitimacy of this fundraising effort. Permission was granted by Skinner on 8/6/2010, and the moderators have been notified." [/font]
If you're not familiar with Wishadoo, please see my journal for previous posts.
Please also check out two recent related OPs: 1) Asking for your help in spreading the word and 2) an OP -- a rant, really -- introducing the idea of a DU Angel Circle.
HERE'S THE SITUATION, and it will come as no surprise to anyone here. The needs of DUers outweigh the number of DUers (who see these posts, at least) who have the ability to help. And I'm not only talking about financial support; I'm also talking about emotional support and advice. I need your help in spreading the word about Wishadoo! so we can gather more people who may have the resources to help others and who want to be of service to The Common Good.
[font color=blue]I posted an OP yesterday offering another creative idea as a way to raise funds: AUCTIONS. Please read and let me know if it is something you may be interested in, both in offering products/services/creations/yourself (!) for auction or in bidding on such auctions. Before I get people involved in creating listings, I'd like to know there is some reasonable level of interest within the DU Community. [/font color]
NOW, to focus on the DUers in need....
Click the DU name to see their Wishlist post. Please keep in mind that, even if you can't help financially (not all needs are financial), there are other ways to be supportive. Simple acknowledgment means THE WORLD; it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there and ask out loud this way. As we work toward legislative changes to ease the needless suffering of so many, we also need to simultaneously come together and have the courage to ask, offer, give, receive, and pay it forward. Most of the Wishlist posts are a direct result of the lack of a social safety net and lack of jobs. You can contact these DUers directly via Wishadoo or here at DU with any questions. Some posts have convenient donate widgets embedded for you to see the progress of their individual fundraising needs.
BTW, I swear PayPal works differently for every single account. If you have the option to select "Personal" and then "other," that should eliminate any fees. But, in my experience, those options aren't always provided.
If there are other forums here at DU where this should be shared, would someone please do so? Thanks.
[font color="green"][font size="3"] There is one new DUer Wishlist post to share today:
chervilant: "I am 57 and was wrongfully terminated the day before our Christmas break. I am one month away from homelessness. I'm planning to get back in school this summer, but I need help to make it til then. I have been and will continue to look for ANY work, and if I get a job in time to negate this financial need, I'll return the money."
There is a PayPal button on her Wishlist post.
So many other DUers are still in dire need of our help and support: [/font size][/font color]
* rbrnmw: In addition to ongoing extreme financial stress, and being turned down for SSD, there is the added stress of her father's health. Please offer good vibes, well wishes and/or prayers regarding her father, and any other support you can offer regarding her family's situation.
[font color=red]Approximately $75 has been raised thus far.[/font]
* kookaburra: Caregivers in this country are suffering tremendously. Kookaburra is the perfect example of our broken system and distorted priorities as a nation. Click her name to learn more about her situation.
[font color=red]Please see her Wishlist post for update.[/font color]
* VenusRising needs support with rent and bills. Many here offered moral support when her husband passed away suddenly three years ago. Please also see her recent DU thread for more information about her current situation.
[font color=red]VenusRising has received more donations but has a way to go. Her Wishlist post has a widget which shows the progress of her fundraiser.[/font]
* Another long-time DUer in good standing is asking for help. What he wants more than anything is to find an IT job but could use support in other ways now as well. He would prefer to not share his DU name but is indeed a member here.
[font color=red]This DUer has VERY PROMISING jobs leads thanks to suggestions by DUers!!!!! If you need a job or know of positions available, please see this OP.[/font]
* bakprkr , has posted the most recent request in the Wishlist. He is a vet, who has been struggling tremendously to avoid homelessness and needs transportation for employment (mass transit simply isn't available in many areas). His request is straightforward, and he's included a PayPal clickable icon. He has also permitted me to share his blog link, where you can follow his journey:
[font color=red]bakprkr also has received donations but has a way to go. His Wishlist post has a widget which shows the progress of his fundraiser, and his blog keeps us posted about his journey![/font]
* Deek's Wish You may remember deek's thread from April 2012, where she asked for votes to win a new wheelchair van for her daughter. DUers voted, but she didn't win. The engine on her van died and she needs a new one now, so she turned to Wishadoo! and DU for help.
* Silvershadow has a dream to start a non-profit organization for those who have Multiple Sclerosis and other similar neurological diseases.
* Akoto is a wonderful DUer I've interacted with behind the scenes; a very selfless young person, usually asking on behalf of others, but has a very real need for transportation.
* Mtnleo2 is asking for dental help for her niece, who is homeless.
[font color="green"][font size="3"]PLEASE ALSO: [/font color][/font size]
* Recommend this thread and keep it kicked for visibility;
* Please scan the Wishlist in general on a regular basis; some posts are simply asking for information. It's not always about money.
* ACKNOWLEDGE these courageous people who have made themselves vulnerable by asking for help. Please offer whatever support you can (information, advice, well wishes, financial or other support, etc.)
[font color=blue]* Share Wishadoo! with others (online and in person)...your friends, loved ones, neighbors, co-workers, other networks and organizations; after all, the more who gather...[/font color]
*** IF I HAVE NEGLECTED TO INCLUDE ANY DUERS' WISHLIST POSTS, PLEASE CONTACT ME!!! ***
[center][font color=green]* * * * *
ABOUT WISHADOO!: Anyone is welcome to use the tools at Wishadoo, so long as the Terms of Service are adhered to (basically "play nice" and don't lie). This includes creating posts in the Wishlist, a "craigslist of compassion." Most of us are struggling with one thing or another, and as you'll see, there are many categories in the Wishlist to cover a variety of issues/needs.
Wishadoo! is a comprehensive portal providing tools, resources and inspiration to connect, help/be helped, and cultivate compassion, cooperation and authentic community in myriad ways, online and in our own "backyards." Wishadoo!'s tools have been designed to integrate and be of service to all sectors of community: individuals, neighborhoods, schools, organizations and businesses.
The Wishlist is where we can ask, offer, give, receive and pay it forward. If you create a Wishlist post, let me know your DU name, and I can start to do weekly or biweekly threads such as this to highlight DUers' needs and offerings.
Any contributions to Wishadoo! itself go toward the cost of maintaining the site, NOT toward any Wishlist posts. That takes place one on one, between Wishadoo! members. If you are able to help with costs to keep the site going, I'd appreciate your generosity tremendously and will be forever indebted.
MANY, MANY thanks to those who have already
helped support Wishadoo! in various ways! [/center]