Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

General Discussion

Showing Original Post only (View all)

sarisataka

(19,662 posts)
Fri Sep 30, 2022, 09:55 PM Sep 2022

Is a nuclear war winnable? [View all]

There has been discussion of the capability of the US nuclear arsenal compared to Russia. It has been put forth that much of Russia's weaponry may not be functional.

Given the necessity of stopping expansionist tyrants as soon as possible and the apparent superiority of NATO nuclear weapons, should the risk of escalating to a nuclear war no longer be a reason for the US/NATO to avoid confrontation?

Has it reached the point where the US and its allies would win a nuclear exchange?


48 votes, 0 passes | Time left: Unlimited
Yes- we can win a clear victory in a war with nuclear weapons
0 (0%)
We could win the war but the number of casualties would outweigh the benefit of any victory
3 (6%)
Win or lose, The risks posed by the return of fascism are worth risking the human race
0 (0%)
No we would lose such a war and be in a worse situation
1 (2%)
Everyone would lose
44 (92%)
Show usernames
Disclaimer: This is an Internet poll
44 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Is a nuclear war winnable? [View all] sarisataka Sep 2022 OP
If you think the gasoline engine is bad bottomofthehill Sep 2022 #1
I do believe it would reverse global warming though...lol EX500rider Sep 2022 #17
Only short term, then supercharge it NickB79 Sep 2022 #26
That would take more than a 'couple'. Model35mech Oct 2022 #38
Yes, I was referring to full on nuclear apocalypse NickB79 Oct 2022 #42
We are the only ones who have. tirebiter Sep 2022 #2
it is not a true nuclear war when only one nation on the planet has nukes (WWII) Celerity Sep 2022 #19
Not just NO but ... doublethink Sep 2022 #3
It doesn't take many nukes to cause a nuclear winter and global famine, so... RockRaven Sep 2022 #4
When one side thinks they can win a nuclear war....... Doodley Sep 2022 #5
Putin if he does anything will launch small tactical weapons at Ukraine. Tomconroy Sep 2022 #6
This message was self-deleted by its author Celerity Sep 2022 #21
that is my true fear Celerity Sep 2022 #22
... sprinkleeninow Sep 2022 #25
I'm at a loss for words. Solly Mack Sep 2022 #7
I guess the lower population, lack of functioning infrastructure, and a nuclear winter... Gore1FL Sep 2022 #8
No problem, thanks to the visionary Ronald Reagan's Star Wars Missile Defense System. Midnight Writer Sep 2022 #9
Was it you who posted the JFK quote earlier today... WarGamer Sep 2022 #10
I did post a paraphrase sarisataka Sep 2022 #12
Yep. Nothing like septuagenarians advocating for war that could escalate beyond nightmare. Hassin Bin Sober Sep 2022 #20
+1000, great points WarGamer Oct 2022 #36
Was it Einstein who said ... DBoon Sep 2022 #11
A lot of people have thoughts, but it's all in the phrasing of the question. WhiskeyGrinder Sep 2022 #13
The fact this question is being asked... Xolodno Sep 2022 #14
In the 1950s several excellent s-f novels were written PoindexterOglethorpe Sep 2022 #15
If you're a cockroach! yortsed snacilbuper Sep 2022 #16
There is no option for 'The only Winning Move, is not to play.' Volaris Sep 2022 #18
An oversight on my part sarisataka Oct 2022 #41
Lol well that screen capture is very putin-appropriate..good job n thanks! Volaris Oct 2022 #43
"By the way, who won the war?" "We did. Not that it matters." Those were niyad Sep 2022 #23
That depends MurrayDelph Sep 2022 #24
You would have to define "winnable". former9thward Sep 2022 #27
Even if 90% of Russia's nukes don't work the remaining 10% will mess up the world badly Calculating Sep 2022 #28
... roamer65 Sep 2022 #29
Give Ukraine tactical nuclear weapons. roamer65 Sep 2022 #30
So, Putin gets to hold the world hostage because he makes threats? Bettie Sep 2022 #31
Nukes either keep the peace or end the world as we know it Calculating Oct 2022 #35
The US and the UK Bettie Oct 2022 #40
Definitely either Yes or No. Iggo Sep 2022 #32
How many millions would need to be sacrificed? Diraven Sep 2022 #33
The problem is Putin can make that choice for us Calculating Oct 2022 #34
No. Did no one see War Games? TDale313 Oct 2022 #37
Why is nobody talking about de-escalation? AntivaxHunters Oct 2022 #39
In a continent as thickly settled as Europe, depending on the number of bombs, survival is doubltful DFW Oct 2022 #44
Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Is a nuclear war winnable...