HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Joni Ernst is salivating ... » Reply #7

Response to OrlandoDem2 (Reply #4)

Sun Jul 19, 2020, 09:57 AM

7. until they are voted out and have to leave, they have the power, it is a horrid system at certain

inflection points.

The constitution is close to, if not fully fatally flawed when viewed at with a truly long wave (as in the sweep of 2 centuries en toto, but especially the last 60 years) view of history. I detest non proportional representation (I live in a PR system, like almsot all the rest of the advance world), as the first past the post, single member district, majoritarian voting system in the US is SHIT.

The Senate and the electoral college are ticking time bombs, with the EC already blowing up and putting the nation (and world) in mortal danger. As for the Senate, by 2030-35 or so, 70% of the seats in the Senate will be controlled by 30% of the population, and that 30% is far more white, conservative (reactionary) fundie xian, far more rural, poorer, older, and less educated on average than the other 70%, who will be stuck with only 30 of the 100 seats soon.

The best way to sort things is simple to describe, but hard to do, because people will not do it. Move several million excess Democrats out (from the DEEP Blue huge states) into the giant pinkish/purple states (TX, FL, GA for sure) and turn them perma-Blue. Also shore up the light Blue and smaller pinkish states as well to claw back the Senate in a BIG way. Have Dem-friendly billionaires help plan and help execute the migrations, and help by moving jobs and infrastructure to lure and then support the Dem transplantation.

Reply to this post

Back to OP Alert abuse Link to post in-thread

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Please login to view edit histories.