HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Army Veteran Has Prosthet... » Reply #18

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Thu Jan 9, 2020, 10:48 PM

18. Not on the VA

I would bet the Veteran lost his legs not while in service but likely due to uncontrolled diabetes. In situations like that (not service connected), Medicare covers 80% of the cost and the Veteran is responsible for the remaining 20%. The Veterans Health Administration does not operate as a secondary insurance, they do not pick up the remaining 20%.

If the loss of limbs was determined to be a service connected injury, the VA generally provides prosthetics, but you canít just go out and buy any prosthetic from any supplier and expect the VHA to cover it. At the very least, he should have discussed this with his VHA primary care provider beforehand.

As an example, Senator Tammy Duckworthís prosthetics are likely provided through the VHA because the loss of limbs in her situation, I would think, is definitely service connected.

If anyone itís Congress, who creates the laws the VA has to follow, who is responsible for this. I hate the fact elderly Veterans that are often on fixed incomes are on the hook for the 20% Medicare doesnít cover.

Iím a retired Veteran that gets his healthcare through the VA and Iíve educated myself on the policies and rules.

Reply to this post

Back to OP Alert abuse Link to post in-thread

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
babylonsister Jan 9 OP
backtoblue Jan 9 #1
smirkymonkey Jan 9 #2
EndlessWire Jan 10 #20
Kaleva Jan 9 #3
Frustratedlady Jan 9 #4
Kaleva Jan 9 #5
Frustratedlady Jan 9 #6
Kaleva Jan 9 #10
EndlessWire Jan 10 #21
Kaleva Jan 10 #23
SunSeeker Jan 9 #7
Kaleva Jan 9 #9
SunSeeker Jan 10 #27
rickford66 Jan 9 #8
SCVDem Jan 9 #11
George II Jan 9 #12
Haggis for Breakfast Jan 9 #13
Schmice3 Jan 9 #14
Ilsa Jan 9 #15
JoeOtterbein Jan 9 #16
mwooldri Jan 9 #19
moniss Jan 9 #17
LineNew Reply Not on the VA
HDSam Jan 9 #18
Kaleva Jan 10 #24
ck4829 Jan 10 #22
NCProgressive Jan 10 #25
bronxiteforever Jan 10 #26
Please login to view edit histories.