Can we please stop the TPP and other costly trade agreements now? They are bad for America, even worse for these poor souls.
Those sentenced to the Laogai often never receive a trial and are often there for many years, work grueling hours, making everything from circuit boards to blue jeans. Ex-prisoners have complained of severe beatings, a paucity of food and infestation by disease carrying pests, according to Human Rights Watch. And while the Chinese government says that products made in these prisons arent exported, many Chinese labor camps manufacture their goods under different names. Thats led many analysts to believe that these these prison-made goods, which are illegal in the U.S., have flooded the global marketplace. Heres a roundup of products that have allegedly been made in the Laogai:
From the movie Se7en, cross post from Reddit:
Imagine Obama Looking in Your Mailbox Every Day, and Writing Down Every Letter You Send and Receive.
That is what he is doing with our phone calls.
It is a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment.
It is also rather perverse and twisted.
Read it and weep. I did.
Summary of "48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene:
48 Laws of Power Cheat Sheet
Law 1: Never outshine the master
· Make those above you feel superior. Do not show your talents too much, itll make them insecure.
· Make the master appear more brilliant than they are.
Law 2: Never put too much trust in friends, learn to use enemies
· Friends will quickly betray you.
· Hire former enemies, theyll be loyal.
Law 3: Conceal your intentions
· Keep people off-balance. They cannot prepare if they dont know. Guide them down the wrong path.
Law 4: Always say less than necessary
· When trying to impress, the more you say the more common you look and less in control.
· Be vague.
· Powerful people impress and intimidate by saying less.
Law 5: So much depends on reputation-guard it with your life
· Reputation is the cornerstone of power.
· Reputation alone will make you win.
· Destroy enemies by attacking their reputation. Then stand aside and let the public hang them.
Law 6: Court attention at all cost
· Everything is judge by appearance, what is unseen counts for nothing.
· Never get lost in a crowd.
· Be mysterious, appear colorful than the masses.
Law 7: Let others to do the work for you, but always take credit
· Use the skills of others to do the work for you, never do yourself what others can do for you.
· Your efficiency will appear god-like.
Law 8: Make other people come to you-use bait if necessary
· When you force others to act, youre in control.
· Make opponents come to you.
· Lure with gains, then attack.
Law 9: Win through your actions, never through argument
· You never win through argument.
· The resentment last long.
· Its more powerful to agree with actions.
· Demonstrate, do not explain.
Law 10: Infection: Avoid the unhappy and the unlucky
· Youll die from others misery-emotional states are as infectious as diseases.
· The unfortunate draw misfortune on themselves and will draw it on you.
· Associate with the happy and fortunate.
Law 11: Learn to keep people dependent on you
· To maintain independence you must be needed and wanted.
· The more youre relied on, the more freedom you have.
· Make people depend on you for happiness.
· Never teach them enough so they can do without you.
Law 12: Use selective honesty and generosity to disarm your victim
· One sincere move will cover over a dozen dishonest ones.
· Honesty can bring down the guard of suspicious people.
· Open their shield with honesty, then deceive.
Law 13: When asking for help, appeal to peoples self-interest, never to their mercy
· Do not remind people of past deeds.
· Find something that will benefit them and emphasize it out of proportion.
Law 14: Pose as a friend, work as a spy
· Learn to probe and find valuable information.
· Ask indirect questions.
· Every occasion is a chance to spy.
Law 15: Crush your enemy totally.
· More is lost through stopping halfway.
· Crush your enemy in body and spirit
Law 16: Use absence to increase respect and honor
· Too much circulation makes the price go down.
· IF youre already established in a group, temporary withdraw to make people talk
· Create value through scarcity
Law 17: Keep others in suspended terror: cultivate an air of unpredictability
· Being predictable gives control to others
· Behavior that isnt consistent will wear people out and theyll stop trying to explain things.
· When used to the extreme, youll intimidate and terrorize
Law 18: Do not build fortresses to protect yourself- isolation is dangerous
· Isolation cuts you off from valuable information
· Its better to mingle
· You are shielded from your enemy in a crowd
Law 19: Know who youre dealing with- do not offend the wrong person
· Never assume everyone will react the same way
· Choose your victims carefully
· Never offend the wrong person
Law 20: Do not commit to anyone
· Fools rush to pick a side.
· Do not commit to a cause but yourself
· Maintain independence
· Make people chase you and play people against one another
Law 21: Play a sucker to catch a sucker- seem dumber than your mark
· Dont be stupid, but make your mark appear smarter than you
· Making them appear smarter hides your motives
Law 22: Use the surrender tactic: transformer weakness into power
· When youre weaker, never fight just for honor but surrender
· Do not give them the satisfaction to win, surrender
· Turn the other cheek to infuriate them
Law 23: Concentrate your forces
· Intensity defeats extensity every time
· Find a fat cow thatll give you milk for a long time
Law 24: Play the perfect courtier
· Master the art of indirection
· Assert power gracefully
Law 25: Re-create yourself
· Create an identity that commands attention and never bores
· Be the master of your own image
· Use large gestures and actions-your character will seem huge and youll gain power
Law 26: Keep your hands clean
· Never appear soiled by mistakes
· Use others as scapegoats to disguise your involvement
Law 27: Play on peoples need to believe to create a cultlike following
· People want to believe in something
· Become the focal point of this and offer them a cause, a new faith
· Keep your words vague but full of promise
· Emphasize enthusiasm over rationality
· Give your new disciples rituals to perform and ask them to make sacrifices
Law 28: Enter action with boldness
· If youre unsure then dont do it
· Timidity is dangerous
· Any mistakes your commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity
· Everyone admires boldness, no one honors the timid
Law 29: Plan all the way to the end
· The ending is everything
· Take into account of scenario
· If you plan, you wont be overwhelmed
· Guide fortune by thinking far ahead
Law 30: Make your accomplishments seem effortless
· Conceal the clever tricks
· Make your success seem natural
· Do not reveal how hard you work
· Teach no one your tricks
Law 31: Control the opinions: get others to play with the cards you deal
· The best deceptions seem to give the other person a choice
· Give options so no matter their choice, you win
Law 32: Play to peoples fantasies
· The truth is unpleasant, avoid it
· People that manufacture romance are like oases in the desert
· Theres great power in tapping into peoples fantasies
Law 33: Discover each mans thumbscrew
· Find others weaknesses
· Its usually insecurity, uncontrollable emotions, secret pressures
Law 34: Be royal in your own fashion: act like a king to be treated like one
· The way you carry yourself determines how youre treated
· Appearing vulgar or common will make people disrespect you
· Kings respect themselves and inspire the same in others
· By acting confident you make yourself destined to wear a crown
Law 35: Master the art of timing
· Never seem in a hurry, always seem patient
· Sniff out the spirit of the times, find the trends thatll give you power
· Learn to stand back when not ready, and then strike
Law 36: Disdain things you cannot have: ignoring them if the best revenge
· Acknowledging petty problems gives them existence
· When you acknowledge an enemy you make them stronger
· The more you a mistake visible, the worse it gets
· If you want something but cant have it, disdain it
· The less interest you reveal, the more superior you seem
Law 37: Create compelling spectacles
· Striking imagery and symbolic gestures create the auro of power and people respond
· Stage spectacles for those around you and heighten your presence
· Dazzle by appearance
Law 38: Think as you like but behave like others
· By flaunting your unconventional ways people will only think you want attention
· Theyll punish you for making them feel inferior
· Blend in
Law 39: Stir up waters to catch fish
· Anger and emotion is counterproductive
· Stay calm and objective
· Make enemies emotional while you stay calm
· Rattle your enemies
Law 40: Despise the free lunch
· Whats offered for free in dangerous
· Pay your own way to avoid guilt and gratitude
· No cutting corners with excellence
· Be lavish with your money, keep it circulating
· Generosity is a sign and magnet for power
Law 41: Avoid stepping into a great mans shoes
· What happens first always appears better and more original than whats next
· Following great people means you must double their power
· Gain power by shining in your own way
Law 42: Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter
· Trouble can be traced to a single individual
· These people will influence others
· Do not negotiate but banish them
· Strike at the source of the trouble
Law 43: Work on the hearts and minds of others
· Coercion will work against you
· Seduce others into wanting to move in your direction
· Seduce others by operating on their individual psychologies and weaknesses
· Soften them by working their emotions and what they fear
· Ignore the hearts and minds and they will grow to hate you
Law 44: Disarm and infuriate with the mirror effect
· When you mirror exactly what your enemies do, they cannot figure out your strategy
· The mirror effect mocks and humiliates them, making them overreact
· Hold a mirror to their psyches and youll seduce them and theyll think they share your values
· Mirror their actions and they learn lessons
Law 45: Preach the need for change, but never reform too much at once
· Everyone wants change but too much is traumatic
· When new to power show you respect old ways
· Make change feel like a gentle improvement on the past
Law 46: Never appear too perfect
· Its dangerous to appear like you have no thoughts
· Its ok to admit to small defects
Law 47: Do not go past the mark you aimed for; in victory know when to stop
· When going to far in victory, you make more enemies
· Set a goal, achieve it, then stop
Law 48: Assume formlessness
· By having a visible plan you open yourself to attack.
· Stay adaptable and on the move
· Accept that nothing is certain and now law fixed
this is a confidential poll, so please answer honestly.
No one is tracking anything.
I stand with the President.
'Dr Price', widely assumed to be an alias for a DINA agent tasked with assassinating the poet, is reported to have been with Neruda on the day he died. A tall, blond and blue eyed man, the description matches that of former CIA and DINA agent Michael Townley, living under the US witness protection programme as part of a plea bargain after confessing to the murder of Carlos Prats and Orlando Letelier.
Apart from the well known murders of Prats and Letelier, Townley was also a major collaborator at Cuartel Simon Bolivar - the torture and extermination centre which remained DINA's most heavily guarded secret prior to Jorgelino Vergara's testimony regarding the methods of torture and disappearances of prominent MIR and Communist Party militants. Together with biochemist Eduardo Berrios, Townley was responsible for the production of sarin gas and was a frequent visitor to Cuartel Simon Bolivar and Colonia Dignidad, where detainees were used to conduct biological experiments.
Profile InformationMember since: Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:05 PM
Number of posts: 15,741
- 2016 (31)
- 2015 (49)
- 2014 (305)
- 2013 (140)
- 2012 (70)