HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » 2020 Candidates Begin Sig...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 09:34 PM

2020 Candidates Begin Signing Unity Pledge, With Sanders Taking the Lead

The candidate many feared might be divisive, Bernie Sanders, was the first onboard with a pledge of unity. Photo: Mark Makela/Getty Images

Yesterday I wrote an appreciation of the grassroots progressive group Indivisible’s “unity pledge,” an effort to keep the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination contest from what Barack Obama warned might become “a circular firing squad.” It was pretty simple, committing candidates to a positive campaign respecting their rivals’ sincerity, an immediate endorsement of the winner, and a strong common effort to beat Trump. But simple as it was, it seemed necessary given the competitive pressures of a huge field representing quite different ideological and strategic views. I went so far as to argue that voters consider their own pledge not to support those refusing to sign the pledge.

A day later, the pledge campaign is off to a good start, with five candidates having already signed it (in alphabetical order): Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg, Julian Castro, Jay Inslee, and Bernie Sanders.

It’s significant that Sanders was the first to sign the pledge:

(snip)

Perhaps Sanders’s leadership here will help inspire the rest of the field to sign on to the pledge quickly, the first and essential step toward making it stick.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/sanders-takes-lead-as-candidates-begin-to-sign-unity-pledge.html

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Undecided

12 replies, 647 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Uncle Joe (Original post)

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 09:38 PM

1. That's a good picture of Bernie. I hope folks STOP when it's apparent they won't win. nt

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to UniteFightBack (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 10:29 PM

4. Me too

2008 and 2016 was unacceptable when the loser stayed in the race far longer than they should have.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 09:43 PM

2. No surprise to see Bernie leading out on this issue... good for him!!

Bernie & Elizabeth 2020!!!
Welcome to the revolution!!!
Undecided

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 10:27 PM

3. An enforceable agreement would be nice.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 10:30 PM

5. Does that include giving the eventual winner access to his email list this time around?

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 10:37 PM

6. Ed Kilgore, the article's author, also quoted this from BuzzFeed about the origins of the pledge:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rubycramer/indivisible-2020-pledge

The “2020 Candidate Pledge,” posted online on Tuesday, sprang out of discussions among prominent Democratic organizations about a unity pledge in the weeks after Bernie Sanders accused the “political establishment” of “plotting” to undermine his presidential campaign, reflecting a field that remains fractured after the bitter primary fight three years ago.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to highplainsdem (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 10:43 PM

7. Here is the finishing to your article.

(snip)

Earlier this month, Sanders sent a pointed letter to the Center for American Progress, a prominent liberal think tank founded by Clinton’s former campaign chair, John Podesta. The group’s political arm owns a left-leaning news outlet, ThinkProgress, which published a story and attack ad–style video about Sanders’ newly accumulated wealth, prompting Sanders to accuse the think tank of sponsoring a “smear” campaign against progressives.

Over the next week, following a report in the New York Times about “Stop Sanders” Democrats, his campaign launched an “emergency” fundraising drive, warning supporters that the political establishment would seek to “derail our movement" and “defeat our political revolution.”

At the start of the race, the Democratic National Committee asked every candidate to sign its own pledge, which asked presidential contenders to self-identify as members of the Democratic Party, to “run as a Democrat,” and “serve as a Democrat if elected” to the White House.

Sanders, along with the rest of the field, signed on.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rubycramer/indivisible-2020-pledge

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Uncle Joe (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 11:02 PM

8. Nice as it is that Sanders is signing these pledges, I'd like him to have his current surrogates who

refused to support Clinton in 2016 get on the unity bandwagon, too.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to highplainsdem (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 26, 2019, 11:25 PM

9. So would I,

perhaps we will have a better candidate in the G.E. of 2020 that connects better with them.

I certainly hope so.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Uncle Joe (Reply #9)

Sat Apr 27, 2019, 09:41 AM

10. There isn't an "if the nominee connects better with me" clause in those pledges. They'd be

meaningless if there were.

Sanders' signature is one thing, but his bringing in people for his current campaign who supported Jill Stein in 2016 is something else -- actions versus words. Either he shouldn't have brought them in, if he's really planning to support unity, OR he should have had them admit their divisiveness hurt the Democrats last time, and had them pledge not to do it again.

If those surrogates are in favor of unity, they should be saying so NOW -- in public, to Sanders supporters -- and not building up their status as Sanders surrogates again if they're just planning to turn against the nominee if it isn't Sanders.

Btw, I'd feel the same way if any other candidate brought in prominent surrogates who refused to support the Democratic nominee in 2016.

But as far as I know, no one else has.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to highplainsdem (Reply #6)

Wed Jun 19, 2019, 12:53 AM

11. Thank You for that, highplainsdem.

Joe Biden