HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Bernie Sanders staff shak...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 06:06 AM

Bernie Sanders staff shake-up: Top strategists leave his presidential campaign

From NBC News:

The chief strategist of the Vermont independent's 2016 campaign and two other aides cited creative differences as they parted ways.

In a major shake-up to Bernie Sanders' just-launched presidential bid, some of his top strategists have left the campaign.

Tad Devine, Mark Longabaugh and Julian Mulvey, partners in a political consulting firm who all played leading roles in Sanders' 2016 campaign for the White House, are parting ways with the senator, citing creative differences.

"The entire firm has stepped away. We're leaving the campaign," Longabaugh told NBC News on Tuesday. "We just didn't have a meeting of the minds."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/bernie-sanders-staff-shakeup-top-strategists-leave-his-presidential-campaign-n976221?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_np

From Fortune Magazine:

Three of Senator Bernie Sandersí top strategists have departed his 2020 campaign, citing creative differences.

snip==========================================================

Although itís been just a week since the launch, Sandersí 2020 bid has been markedly successful in its grassroots outreach. In the first 24 hours of his campaign, Sanders received $5.9 million from about 223,000 donors. Within the first six days, one million people signed up to support his campaign.

Sanders will still need to overcome reports that his 2016 campaign perpetuated a culture of sexism and harassment. The senator has twice publicly apologized for the alleged behavior, after first saying he was too busy to be aware of the mistreatment.

http://fortune.com/2019/02/26/bernie-sanders-2020-strategists/
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

8 replies, 997 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bernie Sanders staff shake-up: Top strategists leave his presidential campaign (Original post)
lapucelle Feb 2019 OP
yardwork Feb 2019 #1
NurseJackie Feb 2019 #2
cwydro Feb 2019 #3
NurseJackie Feb 2019 #4
George II Feb 2019 #8
ehrnst Feb 2019 #5
MineralMan Feb 2019 #6
Hortensis Feb 2019 #7

Response to lapucelle (Original post)

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 07:06 AM

1. Interesting.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 08:23 AM

2. I suspect there may be more to it than what we're hearing.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to NurseJackie (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 08:46 AM

3. There has to be.

Well, most likely itíll come out eventually whatever is might be.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to cwydro (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 08:54 AM

4. In the business world, whenever the top talent sees that the company is sinking...

In the business world, whenever the top talent sees that the company is sinking, they typically abandon ship. The smart ones will protect their careers and reputations by getting out before it gets ugly. They'll want to secure new jobs while their current position is a mere "line item" on their CV rather than a "splotch" to be covered over.

Anyway, the only reason I mention that, is because I wonder if there's any correlation between how people behave in the business-world and the political-world in that regard.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to NurseJackie (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 10:54 AM

8. Indeed....

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 09:20 AM

5. Tad Devine. Interesting. (nt)

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 09:37 AM

6. Well, this can't be good news for Senator Sanders.

"Creative differences?" What does that even mean?

Basically, I think they're leaving because they want to find a candidate with a better chance of success. I can't think of any other good reason for that group bailing out. Well, actually, I guess I can. Maybe Bernie wasn't willing to pay them as much as they wanted.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 27, 2019, 10:50 AM

7. Hmm. Those dirty bagages have already been replaced

with clean, shiny new campaign manager: Faiz Shakir, former national political director for the American Civil Liberties Union. Shakir's also worked for Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.

Don't know how Sanders could have been so foolish as to rehire those operatives in the first place. Obviously there are strategic differences in going relatively respectable and trying to align more with the progressives he rejected last time, but surely the feedback also clued him in that this time the press will be asking all the unpleasant questions they didn't before, and more?
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread