HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Just Six Have Qualified f...
Undecided 44%
Elizabeth Warren22%
Joe Biden14%
Bernie Sanders8%
Pete Buttigieg6%

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:38 PM

Just Six Have Qualified for Next Debate

Just Six Have Qualified for Next Debate

December 3, 2019 at 2:40 pm EST By Taegan Goddard 156 Comments

https://politicalwire.com/2019/12/03/just-six-have-qualified-for-next-debate/

"SNIP....

Matt Viser: “With Kamala Harris out, the debate stage in December at this point will be all white candidates. Striking for a field that was historically large and historically diverse.”

Here’s who has qualified: Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Sanders, Steyer, and Warren.

.....SNIP"
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

72 replies, 1526 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 72 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just Six Have Qualified for Next Debate (Original post)
applegrove Dec 3 OP
BannonsLiver Dec 3 #1
msongs Dec 3 #2
bearsfootball516 Dec 3 #3
Chemisse Dec 3 #8
Celerity Dec 3 #18
thesquanderer Dec 3 #4
emmaverybo Dec 3 #7
pnwmom Dec 3 #9
StarfishSaver Dec 4 #22
treestar Dec 4 #42
StarfishSaver Dec 4 #44
treestar Dec 4 #46
StarfishSaver Dec 4 #47
treestar Dec 4 #50
StarfishSaver Dec 4 #55
treestar Dec 4 #59
StarfishSaver Dec 4 #63
LeftTurn3623 Dec 4 #64
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #25
pnwmom Dec 4 #29
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #31
pnwmom Dec 4 #32
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #33
pnwmom Dec 4 #35
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #36
pnwmom Dec 4 #56
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #48
pnwmom Dec 4 #57
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #69
pnwmom Thursday #70
Demsrule86 Thursday #71
pnwmom Thursday #72
Celerity Dec 3 #19
treestar Dec 4 #39
Celerity Dec 4 #41
treestar Dec 4 #52
Celerity Dec 4 #54
treestar Dec 4 #58
Celerity Dec 4 #60
treestar Dec 4 #65
Celerity Dec 4 #67
LeftTurn3623 Dec 3 #5
pnwmom Dec 3 #10
Celerity Dec 4 #43
redqueen Dec 4 #45
Celerity Dec 4 #49
stopbush Dec 3 #6
msongs Dec 3 #12
stopbush Dec 3 #13
DrToast Dec 4 #34
squirecam Dec 3 #14
stopbush Dec 3 #17
killaphill Dec 4 #21
stopbush Dec 4 #26
killaphill Dec 4 #28
stopbush Dec 4 #30
treestar Dec 4 #38
Jirel Dec 3 #11
StevieM Dec 3 #16
brooklynite Dec 4 #20
StevieM Dec 3 #15
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #23
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #24
33taw Dec 4 #27
treestar Dec 4 #37
redqueen Dec 4 #40
Demsrule86 Dec 4 #51
treestar Dec 4 #66
onetexan Dec 4 #61
Polly Hennessey Dec 4 #53
question everything Dec 4 #62
TreasonousBastard Dec 4 #68

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:39 PM

1. not much that can be done about that

But I'm sure people will rage, nonetheless.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:39 PM

2. no gabbard? nt

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:44 PM

3. She's polling pretty poorly.

And thank God for that.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to bearsfootball516 (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:58 PM

8. That's a relief. n/t

Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Response to bearsfootball516 (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:26 PM

18. no, she is only one poll away from qualifying (and can get it 2 different ways)

she just hit 6% in another early state poll too (NH)

Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:46 PM

4. The 6 include 2 women, 1 gay man, 1 Jew... any would be historic firsts as nominees. (n/t)

Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Response to thesquanderer (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:57 PM

7. So would an elderly candidate who is not an incumbent be a historic first.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to emmaverybo (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:58 PM

9. whoopy-do

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 10:58 AM

22. White people claiming an all-white group is "diverse" because some are women, some are old and one

Last edited Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:06 PM - Edit history (1)

is gay illustrates white privilege perfectly.

If the field were six black people, NO one for even a second would think it was diverse, regardless how different the six black people were from each other.

In fact, people's hair would be on fire and they'd be demanding the system be torn down and fixed immediately because something was obviously wrong with it.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #22)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:06 PM

42. Other differences from straight white male make people happy too

We were hoping for the first female president 4 years ago.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #42)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:09 PM

44. Of course they make people happy

But replacing straight white males with a couple of white women and a gay white man doesn't diversity make. I'd say the same thing if the field of straight white men was replaced by a field of black men, even if one of them were gay. I have a feeling women wouldn't feel especially happy such a slate or feel that it was particularly diverse.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #44)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:16 PM

46. Now that they are all men

Still seems their differences would get played up. Most liberals would not have a problem with their being all black men - for the very fact of white privilege that would be amazing to most liberals. The right-wingers would be the only ones saying anything about it.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #46)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:21 PM

47. I disagree

You have a lot more faith in white liberals than I have - or that many of them deserve.

I think many white liberals would be horrified if it was all black men. First, they'd question why no women made the cut. And I have no doubt they'd also suspect that the system unfairly benefited black candidates and somehow disadvantaged white people - too much identity politics - and that this would be a problem in the general election since many liberals truly believe that a black candidate can't win in 2020.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #47)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:34 PM

50. I disagree on the white liberals

especially at their being "horrified." If that happened, those would be the candidates with the support. They'd have white liberal support in enough numbers to be the six remaining candidates, so most white liberals would supporting one of them.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #50)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:52 PM

55. As a black woman who's frequently been on the receiving end when some white liberals show their true

colors, I know better. Some of my biggest disappointments in politics have come at the hands of white liberals whom I thought were allies. I have good reason not to be as optimistic about how segments of this group behave when push comes to shove.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #55)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 05:11 PM

59. In your hypothetical though

They must have supported these black men, since they are the last 6 standing.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #59)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 06:14 PM

63. That wouldn't necessarily be true

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #22)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 06:48 PM

64. This post is absolute nonsense

Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 11:11 AM

25. Why is it that you hate Biden so much? Having met him quite a few times. He is a decent guy...

and is what he seems...no false faces for Biden. What you see is what your get. I can see supporting another candidate but why such intense dislike...just curious. Feel free to message me if you like.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #25)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:01 PM

29. I don't hate him. I prefer other candidates, and I see his age as a negative, not a plus.

Also, I've seen little to change my mind of him, and his famous "congeniality," since that congeniality failed Anita Hill at the Thomas hearings.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #29)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:08 PM

31. I know i it is a big deal for you...but I blame Republicans for Anita Hill not Democrats and not

Biden. I also don't care about a hearing so long ago. I don't really like Anita Hill either. She is always after Democrats and I don't recall her ever going after Republicans. But thanks for sharing. I guess you support Buttigeig or Klobachar as they are the only candidates who have a chance below the age of 70.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #31)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:17 PM

32. Age isn't the determining factor but, as I said, elderly age isn't a plus. And I do like Anita Hill

and I can't stand Clarence Thomas -- and Biden had the power to keep him off the court, and failed to use it.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #32)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:22 PM

33. He did not have that power...not in those times. Democrats were going to vote for him in sufficient

numbers...so there was little point in continuing.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #33)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:33 PM

35. Yes, in those times. For one thing, it was his decision and his alone to end the hearings

without hearing the public testimony of the women who were prepared to corroborate Hill's testimony. It would have been much harder for Democrats to ignore the testimony of three women than just one.

On the other hand, he DID allow the testimony of that fake expert who claimed Hill had "erotomania."
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #35)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:51 PM

36. Democrats had signalled and out and out told him, they would vote for Thomas....so there was

no point. He did not vote for Thomas.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #36)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 03:39 PM

56. If those women had publicly corroborated Anita, those Democrats would have been in a much

more difficult position. And Biden should have put them in it.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #35)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:24 PM

48. I spent time reviewing the evidence ...what I could find as I didn't watch these hearings...

and it seems to me that there were legitimate issues with Hill's testimony...do I think he did it...yes I do. But hindsight is 2020...The witness you refer to was reluctant to testify. Democrats said the witnesses had credibility issues. I think it will remain a he said /she said thing...and of course the question I have is why did she go with him to a different job when he moved on? I have experienced sexual harassment and would not have done so. I think it was a bad situation and it was 25 years ago...we will never know exactly what happened. Thomas feels he is the victim and blames Biden too.Obviously a no win situation for Biden... It is not a deal breaker for me with Biden. Below is one place where I thought things were presented fairly...still a super partisan issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Thomas_Supreme_Court_nomination#Anita_Hill_testimony
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #48)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 03:41 PM

57. It wasn't just one witness. There were at least two women willing to testify publicly.

Yes, they wanted it to be under subpoena. We should know by now that asking for a subpoena doesn't make you a reluctant witness. They were ready and willing to testify -- and surprised when they weren't called.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #57)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 11:29 PM

69. According to what I read...one woman didn't want to testify and one was not there when the

harassment happened. The Democrats feared the women were not credible and public opinion was against them. Even by today's standards part of the Hill story was problematic...the biggest problem was why did she follow him when he moved jobs? I can't judge it all these years later...I believe she told the truth...but at the end of the day even with the witnesses it was a he said she said situation...remarkable similarity in some ways to the Kavanaugh thing. I think Biden did the best he could...sure there were mistakes...but hind sight is 2020 and it was a long time ago. Anyway. Thanks for making me research it...just a quick look but I will continue to read about it. It is quite a story. Truth is stranger than fiction.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #69)

Thu Dec 5, 2019, 12:08 AM

70. One of them, an attorney, was prepared to testify about a sexualized atmosphere in Thomas's office.

She was "reluctant" to testify in that she wasn't attention seeking -- but she thought it would be important. She also said she knew that if it became known that she testified, that would damage her career with law firms which might send cases to the Supreme Court.

But not calling the other women -- Hardnett, Wright, and Jourdain -- wasn't the only serious mistake Biden made. And today even Biden acknowledges the hearing he led wasn't fair to her.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/23/650956623/anita-hill-testimony-the-witness-not-called

MARTIN: So let me just paraphrase from the sworn affidavit that you said. You said you were not claiming to be a victim of sexual harassment, but you wanted to testify about a sexualized atmosphere that you observed where you said that young, black women in particular were, quote, being inspected and auditioned as a female. But why did you feel that that added to the understanding of the events? Because you're saying you did not have specific knowledge of their interactions.

HARDNETT: What I wanted to do was corroborate the fact that Anita Hill, like so many other young females at the commission, would be an audition by Clarence for whatever purpose. He would call them into his office. In particular with me, Clarence expected me to be available to him every morning and for lunch, and I would run down to a friend of mine's office and hide just to avoid being in the situation with Clarence where I would have uncomfortable conversations.

SNIP

HARDNET: There was some talk about the fact that certain people would be called to testify, and I agreed to do that. And I did it reluctantly. I didn't really want to be thrown into the public atmosphere any more than anyone else. But I felt it was necessary to say that because that position is a very important position. It's a position that affects the lives of all of us.

SNIP:

HARDNETT: Oh, no. I have no regrets about speaking up when I did. I mean, there have been repercussions in terms of my employment, in terms of law firms who wouldn't want to be associated with someone who had a history of making a statement against a Supreme Court justice by the mere fact that some of their cases could possibly go before the Supreme Court. It did have somewhat of a negative impact on my professional career, but I've always tried to live on the right side of justice. Now, I may not have always succeeded, but I've always tried. And I thought that that was really important to make the statement on behalf of Anita Hill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/joe-biden-was-in-charge-of-the-anita-hill-hearing-even-he-says-it-wasnt-fair/2019/04/26/a9a6f384-6500-11e9-82ba-fcfeff232e8f_story.html

Joe Biden was in charge of the Anita Hill hearing. Even he says it wasn’t fair.

Interviews with a dozen people with firsthand knowledge and a review of the written record and interviews published with participants over the past three decades reinforce that Biden failed to use the powers afforded to Senate committee chairmen to conduct a judicious and thorough inquiry into Hill’s allegations. He did not give full consideration to witnesses whose allegations seemed to corroborate her testimony or curb the attacks and innuendo leveled at her during the hearing. A former Biden lawyer told The Washington Post this month that the Democrats were outmaneuvered by Republicans, whose purpose was to damage Hill.

SNIP

Thomas was asked questions about a woman named Angela Wright, a former EEOC employee whose claim that he had asked the size of her breasts and pressured her for dates had made its way to the committee. Wright, then an editor at the Charlotte Observer, was deposed by staffers and flew to Washington under subpoena. Biden, citing time constraints, never called her to testify.

Two other women who had worked at the EEOC were also seen as potential witnesses whose accounts would support Hill’s. Rose Jourdain could corroborate Wright’s story, and Sukari Hardnett wrote to the committee that “if you were young, black, female and reasonably attractive, you knew full well you were being inspected and auditioned as a female” by Thomas while working for him.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #70)

Thu Dec 5, 2019, 12:37 AM

71. I don't know that it would have changed anything. And you need to understand that the public

did not support Ms. Hill at the time...Democrats would have still voted for Thomas...but there would have been a political price to pay. I really don't see that Biden did anything disqualifying...it is 25 years later...and times change...I have to tell you I disagree that an anonymous accuser can ruin a man or woman's life...it seems we are now the sex police demanding purity from our candidates...we are likely to lose Katie Hill's seat...very foolish. The GOP will work overtime to dig up dirt on our folks and self righteous (don't mean you) folks will insist they resign...thank God the Governor of Virginia did not do this...the state would likely be under GOP control.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #71)

Thu Dec 5, 2019, 01:25 AM

72. Millions of women like me supported her and watched with disgust. And Biden could have

helped educate others. If he had taken her accusations seriously, others would have, too. Instead, Biden allowed Thomas's nomination to come to the floor for a vote. As the head of the Judiciary committee, that was Biden's CHOICE. He thought it was more important to give the black man a vote than to give the black woman a fair hearing.

And then he made one bad decision after another -- allowing witnesses to talk about her fake condition of erotomania, agreeing to limit the days of the hearings, not calling the corroborating witnesses.

And, despite what you just said, Anita Hill wasn't anonymous and her corroborative witnesses were willing to go public. This has nothing to do with anonymous accusers.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to emmaverybo (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:40 PM

19. no, William Henry Harrison was 68 (life expectancy for a man at that age was 74 in 1841)

So he was only 6 years younger than life expectancy.

He died in office after only 31 days.

Biden would be around 7 years younger than like expectancy in 2021 for someone who makes it to his age.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #19)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:00 PM

39. Interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Harrison#Death_and_funeral

What killed him could have killed anyone at any age back then, and included the medical treatment itself.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #39)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:04 PM

41. the big thing back then was infant mortality, which was so so high

Life expectancy FROM BIRTH was only around 40 years because so many died before they hit 10 years old or so. If you made it to adulthood, then it was much longer.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #41)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:38 PM

52. Yes, they didn't drop dead at 40

John Adams lived to be 91. Many probably did. If you made it to 10, you had a strong constitution. So many illnesses that can be cured now that killed kids then. It was probably common to have a family member who died in childhood or know some kid who had.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #52)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:46 PM

54. John Adams & Thomas Jefferson both died on the same day, July 4, 1826, on the US's 50th anniversary

Jefferson was 83.

Jefferson & Adams: Founding Frenemies

The two founding fathers, who share a special place in American history, had a long, complicated relationship over the course of their lives.

https://www.history.com/news/jefferson-adams-founding-frenemies
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #54)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 05:09 PM

58. Isn't that amazing?

I always thought that an incredible coincidence. Maybe failing, but they held on to see the 50th. Not just any anniversary, but the 50th! And both the same day. They may have been the last two surviving signers, because I remember reading that Adams' last words were "Jefferson still survives," though Jefferson in fact had not.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #58)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 05:26 PM

60. Charles Carroll, Nov 14, 1832 (95yo) Last signer of the United States Declaration of Independence

He was the longest lived as well, and the only Catholic signer. Carroll was also the wealthiest signer and possessed the highest formal education of all of the signers.

It is believed that Freedom of Religion in the Constitution's First Amendment was included to show gratitude to Carroll because Carroll gave financial support from his personal funds for the American Revolutionary War.

Carroll later served as the first United States Senator for Maryland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Carroll_of_Carrollton
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #60)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 06:53 PM

65. That's so interesting thank you!

So many of the founders not so well known but had interesting lives. Though wealthy, which could have made him conservative, he put it on the line for the Revolution.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #65)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 06:55 PM

67. +100000

Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:48 PM

5. How did Steyer & Klobuchar make the stage?

I thought you need 4% polling? Isnt Klobuchar running around 3%
Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Response to LeftTurn3623 (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:59 PM

10. It's not based on averages, it's based on having enough specific polls. n/t

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to LeftTurn3623 (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:06 PM

43. Her neighbour Iowa only saved Klobuchar. If not for IA, she would only have 1 qualify poll.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #43)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:15 PM

45. Interesting, thanks! nt

Andrew Yang

Reply to this post

Response to redqueen (Reply #45)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:25 PM

49. yw

Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:50 PM

6. Six white candidates, 4 of them male.

So much for the diversity of the field.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to stopbush (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:23 PM

12. harris chose to drop out, she didn't have to. not being in a debate does not mean

one has to drop out
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:33 PM

13. She cited a lack of funds, and that she cannot self fund like the billionaires.

Rather than look for excuses to keep going by overplaying what positives she had as a candidate, she looked at her situation honestly and said she didn’t see a way forward where she could compete money-wise with the billionaires.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to stopbush (Reply #13)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:30 PM

34. Nonsense. Klobuchar hasn't dropped out. Gabbard hasn't dropped out

Harris raised more money that both of them combined.
Amy Klobuchar

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:55 PM

14. What?

Women and gay men don’t count as diversity?

Amy Klobuchar

Reply to this post

Response to squirecam (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 05:53 PM

17. Gay men? Plural. Who's the other one?

Remaining six D candidates:

100% white
66% male
16% gay male
50% over 70, with a fourth (male) age 62

0% black
0% Latino/hispanic
0% black female

The Rs had more diversity in 2016.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to stopbush (Reply #17)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 10:43 AM

21. What about Jewish?

Definitely a minority. So between women (a minority, see attached article), the Jewish community, and the LGBTQ community, 66% of the debate field will consist of minority candidates.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/are-women-minorities_b_595a91a0e4b0f078efd98be3
Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Response to killaphill (Reply #21)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 11:13 AM

26. Women make up 50.8% of the population (2010 census),

so, no, women are NOT a minority.

So subtract out the women % and where are you?
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to stopbush (Reply #26)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 11:49 AM

28. Minority status doesn't just have to do with raw numbers.

It has to do with power. Reference the link to the article I attached.
Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Response to killaphill (Reply #28)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:03 PM

30. So facts are malleable to you when it comes to making your point.

Got it.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:57 PM

38. This is not a grouping that requires diversity

We need the best person, whatever qualities they were born with.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:01 PM

11. I'm pretty heartbroken by this.

Both Booker and Harris had far more to say than some of the people on that stage.
Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Response to Jirel (Reply #11)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:58 PM

16. I think all the candidates on the stage have something to say.

The only one who I don't think is worth listening to is Tulsi Gabbard.
Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Response to Jirel (Reply #11)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 09:45 AM

20. Booker and Harris had five debates in which to say them...

Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:57 PM

15. Yang and Gabbard may well make the debate stage as well.

They are both one poll away.

The debate stage may look like this: 1 Jewish man, 1 gay white man, 2 white women, 1 Asian man, 1 Polynesian woman who practices Hinduism, 1 white man who is Irish Catholic, 1 white man who is Protestant.

And if Kamala hadn't dropped out there would be an African-American woman on the stage too.

Finally, let's not forget that Kamala Harris and Corey Booker have been in all the debates up until this point.
Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Response to StevieM (Reply #15)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 11:02 AM

23. I hope not...the debates suck with so many candidates...unwatchable.

Those in the single digits should consider suspending the campaign as well...waste of time and money.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 11:06 AM

24. We can give all the opportunity but we can't manage the outcomes...it is also true that

had AA voters supported Harris,she would have been able to continue. But with little support, or much of a chance to be the nominee, the money people and individual donors moved on to other candidates who were perceived to have a better chance than Harris. I feel sorry for her, presidential fever is a painful disease when you don't win and has no cure. I would bet she will be back someday to try again. Good luck Sen. Harris ...rip Trump a new one during his trial.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 11:21 AM

27. I was sorry to see Harris withdraw. With such a large field it is challenging to get enough funds.

Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:56 PM

37. We can't expect to have a black President at all times

This kind of thing hands right-wingers talking points.

When a black person was the best candidate, we nominated him.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #37)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:02 PM

40. +1

Andrew Yang

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:36 PM

51. The best president in my lifetime.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #51)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 06:54 PM

66. Same here.

If anyone was cut out for that job, Barack Obama was it!
Undecided

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 05:58 PM

61. agree. As i posted yesterday, natural attrition

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 01:40 PM

53. Good.

Booker and Harris had just as much time to say what they wanted to say as the other candidates.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 06:05 PM

62. Having two women on the stage and a gay is historically diverse

What would he say had we had only Biden, Sanders, Butiggieg and Booker? All men? Would he still have lamented?

Or if we had only Warren, Klobuchar, Harris and Gabbard? Only women?

Amy Klobuchar

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 07:00 PM

68. Bummer-- she was one of my favorites, but so it goes.

Amy Klobuchar

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread