HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » 20 million people are bei...
Undecided 44%
Elizabeth Warren22%
Joe Biden14%
Bernie Sanders8%
Pete Buttigieg6%

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:26 PM

20 million people are being displaced from their homes every year due to climate-fueled disasters.

Climate change is forcing one person from their home every two seconds, Oxfam says

(CNN)Climate-fueled disasters have forced about 20 million people a year to leave their homes in the past decade -- equivalent to one every two seconds -- according to a new report from Oxfam.

This makes the climate the biggest driver of internal displacement for the period, with the world's poorer countries at the highest risk, despite their smaller contributions to global carbon pollution compared to richer nations.

(snip)

"Although it's hard to show that climate change is in itself creating political instability and conflict, the way in which the national security community describes climate change is as a threat multiplier," he said.

"When you get large populations displaced that's when you get instability and conflict."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/01/world/oxfam-climate-displacement-intl-scli/index.html

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Bernie Sanders

1 replies, 148 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply 20 million people are being displaced from their homes every year due to climate-fueled disasters. (Original post)
Uncle Joe Dec 3 OP
Uncle Joe Dec 3 #1

Response to Uncle Joe (Original post)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 07:40 PM

1. Kicked in the name of love.

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Bernie Sanders

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread