HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Analyst: with Trump unopp...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Fri Nov 15, 2019, 08:06 AM

Analyst: with Trump unopposed, conservatives might vote in open primaries for Gabbard

New Hampshire is one of these states:

Other data cited by Skelley suggests that she’d do better than otherwise expected in open Democratic primaries (like New Hampshire’s) where conservative-tilting indies can participate. Indeed, with Trump facing no real competition on the Republican side, you could see solid Republicans drifting over into the Democratic primaries to cast a vote for a candidate like Gabbard in states with no party registration (e.g., much of the South).

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/tulsi-gabbards-support-skews-conservative-and-male.html
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Undecided

6 replies, 593 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Analyst: with Trump unopposed, conservatives might vote in open primaries for Gabbard (Original post)
Xandric77 Nov 2019 OP
hlthe2b Nov 2019 #1
thesquanderer Nov 2019 #5
hlthe2b Nov 2019 #6
redqueen Nov 2019 #2
MrsCoffee Nov 2019 #3
MBS Nov 2019 #4

Response to Xandric77 (Original post)

Fri Nov 15, 2019, 08:16 AM

1. Is anyone surprised? Tulsi has gone out of her way to solicit such support whether you like her or

not. That is simply undeniable with her frequent sojourns to Fox to address her vocal disagreement with other Democrats, Democratic policies and especially those of Obama's administration. She need not launch a third-party bid. The effect is the same. Is that her right? Yes. But, I sure hope she is unsuccessful or we will be looking at Trump reelection.

Remember, while the R's consider bottling up six of our leading candidates in the Senate with stunts during the impeachment trial, Gabbard will be free to line up against them 24/7 on Fox and elsewhere. NO matter what she says, Fox will find ways to use her presence and comments to combat the impeachment message and findings and those presenting/defending the case against Trump. Biden and Buttigieg might not be affected, but everyone else could be.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 15, 2019, 10:00 AM

5. re: "She need not launch a third-party bid. The effect is the same."

How is the effect of running next November against Trump AND a Dem nominee (which she has said many times she won't do) the same as the effect of what she is doing now? The two situations seem entirely different to me.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to thesquanderer (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 15, 2019, 10:10 AM

6. Both weaken our eventual nominee and may well influence the independant margin we need

to win the states that gave Trump victory. I really think this is not hard to understand no matter how much one wants to give Tulsi benefit-of-the doubt. Hardcore Trumpsters influencing our primaries in all the myriad of ways they have shown they will do (along with foreign operatives) is not a good thing. Is this so hard to imagine? You may say Tulsi is not to blame, but she obviously is soliciting them with her constant Fox appearances and her attacks on Dems that goes to Trump's benefit.

You may ask is that not her right? Her right to run with different opinions/policies? Yes, of course, but not to attack the Democratic party from within while giving cover to Trump as a means to get RW support for a candidacy that isn't catching fire with actual Democratic voters. She seizes the "Fox opporunity", yes, but in most cases earning the title "opportunist" is not necessarily a good thing.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 15, 2019, 08:47 AM

2. Too bad she wasn't left alone to continue to fizzle out.

Oh well. This is what we have to deal with now.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 15, 2019, 08:47 AM

3. Who?

Joe Biden

Reply to this post