HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Organizers of Beto O'Rour...
Undecided 44%
Elizabeth Warren20%
Joe Biden16%
Bernie Sanders10%
Pete Buttigieg5%

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 02:00 PM

Organizers of Beto O'Rourke visit to Newtown apologize for not including some Sandy Hook families

Not everyone in Newtown was pleased with Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke’s visit on Wednesday evening.

O’Rourke spoke to hundreds of gun control activists in Newtown, not far from the site of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The event was sponsored by the Newtown Action Alliance, a group of activists supporting gun control. But organizers apparently did not include Nelba Marquez-Greene, whose daughter Ana was murdered during the Sandy Hook attack.

In a series of tweets Wednesday night and Thursday, Marquez-Greene said “certain families” were excluded from the event. She also thanked O’Rourke for intervening and making sure the event was open to all Sandy Hook families.

The Newtown Action Alliance, which organized the event, tweeted an apology Wednesday evening. "We will make that all the families are invited next time,'' the group said. “This is a genuine apology.”

Read more: https://www.courant.com/politics/capitol-watch/hc-pol-newtown-beto-invite-20191031-n7oiyokkk5dmpf42b6zbuxzfhm-story.html
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Undecided

2 replies, 279 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Organizers of Beto O'Rourke visit to Newtown apologize for not including some Sandy Hook families (Original post)
TexasTowelie Oct 31 OP
liskddksil Oct 31 #1
LanternWaste Oct 31 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 02:13 PM

1. Glad that they clarified the misleading information that this was an official Beto event nt

Undecided

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 02:14 PM

2. I don't think O'Rourke can ever be accused of insincerity.

His passion and eloquence on a broad range of topics would deny it as such.

I wish his primary campaign had caught on in TX (and the US) with the same fire it did in his state senate run. But Beto is young (relatively) and there are more campaigns and victories ahead of him.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread