HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Payday lenders brag about...
Undecided 44%
Elizabeth Warren20%
Joe Biden16%
Bernie Sanders10%
Pete Buttigieg5%

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 12:20 PM

Payday lenders brag about access to Trump, GOP -- but they're worried about Warren

Payday lenders were recorded discussing how to leverage their contributions to President Donald Trump’s campaign to weaken government regulations of the industry with help from his administration, according to a recording obtained by The Washington Post.

Michael Hodges, the founder of payday lending giant Advance Financial, told industry colleagues during a Sept. 24 webcast that he successfully bought influence with the Trump administration.

“For example, I’ve gone to Ronna McDaniel and said, ‘Ronna, I need help on something,’” he said, referring to the chairwoman of the Republican National Committee. “She’s been able to call over to the White House and say, ‘Hey, we have one of our large givers. They need an audience. … They need to be heard and you need to listen to them.’ So that’s why it’s important.”

Hodges made the comments as the payday lending industry, which charges notoriously high-interest rates on short-term loans, awaits new rules that could weaken those put in place by the Obama administration, which require lenders to confirm that customers can afford to repay the loan amount.

https://www.salon.com/2019/10/30/payday-lenders-brag-about-access-to-trump-gop-but-theyre-worried-about-warren/

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Elizabeth Warren

3 replies, 376 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Payday lenders brag about access to Trump, GOP -- but they're worried about Warren (Original post)
MerryBlooms Oct 31 OP
guillaumeb Oct 31 #1
vsrazdem Oct 31 #2
MerryBlooms Oct 31 #3

Response to MerryBlooms (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 12:22 PM

1. Recommended.

Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MerryBlooms (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 12:24 PM

2. As well they should be worried. Things they are a changing.

Bernie Sanders

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to vsrazdem (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 12:44 PM

3. Love to see preyday lenders on the extinction list. n/t

Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post