HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » In 1991... I was a 24-yea...
Undecided 49%
Kamala Harris16%
Joe Biden8%
Bernie Sanders8%
Elizabeth Warren6%

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:31 AM

In 1991... I was a 24-year-old registered Republican

This is a story about the "It" factor.

I grew up in a conservative home, and in 1991 I had just gotten married. After we got back from our honeymoon and were settling into our new apartment as a married couple, I was hooking up the cable TV late one night. At that time, channel 2 on our cable system was CSPAN, and when I hooked it up that was the channel that came on first.

I saw a young Governor from Arkansas giving a speech somewhere cold, probably New Hampshire. And I was mesmerized by what the guy was saying. This guy had "it". I could tell. And I was sold. By November of the following year, I had changed my voter registration to Democratic and voted for Bill Clinton.

I didn't see "it" in another politician again until the 2004 Democratic convention in which a young Senate candidate from Illinois was giving a keynote speech. The guy had "it" and you knew he was destined for the White House. When he announced his candidacy in early 2007, even though he was going up against the formidable Hillary Clinton and John Edwards, I knew he was going to prevail.

This time around, there are two candidates who have "it". Beto O'Rourke and Kamala Harris. While many of the other candidates are sound on policy, and are great people... they don't have "it".

You know it when you see it. Bernie has hit his ceiling of supporters, and it will get nothing but smaller going forward. Biden is formidable, but his time has passed I think. Klobuchar and Warren and Booker are all fantastic and would make fine Presidents.

But they don't have "it".

Beto O'Rourke or Kamala Harris is going to be our next President.
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Beto O'Rourke

6 replies, 404 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply In 1991... I was a 24-year-old registered Republican (Original post)
scheming daemons Friday OP
CaliforniaPeggy Friday #1
Cha Friday #2
forklift Friday #3
brer cat Friday #6
Qutzupalotl Friday #4
Awsi Dooger Friday #5

Response to scheming daemons (Original post)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:34 AM

1. Yours is an interesting prediction, my dear scheming daemons...

You could well be right.

Or not!

Only time will tell.

Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:40 AM

2. We're gonna see!

Hang on 'cause the ride's gonna bumpy!

Great story about how you became a Dem, scheming

Kamala Harris

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:49 AM

3. What you call "it" I call empathy

The ability to "feel" the emotions of other people. Empathy makes people "connect" on a subconscious level.

Populist rhetoric appeals to anger by making people feel and vent their anger but it doesn't comfort people like empathy does.

Besides Beto and Kamala, don't forget Joe Biden who also has empathy. Sherrod Brown has it as well although he is not running.
Beto O'Rourke

Reply to this post

Response to forklift (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 03:04 AM

6. That's an interesting pov on the "it" factor.

We talk about "it" a lot, but I haven't seen it expressed as empathy. I think you are right, and I agree that Joe has it as well as Kamala and Beto. What a glorious change from the present occupant of the WH. This will give Democrats a big edge in 2020, offering comfort and caring to people who are tired of the anger and divisiveness of trump.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 01:13 AM

4. Give Inslee and Buttigieg a look.

Both are extemely skilled in addition to the two you mentioned.

The debates are going to be fantastic, provided we donít form the circular firing squad.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 02:13 AM

5. One of those 4 is nearly a decade older than all others when you spotted them

Just a basic observation from a handicapper. I believe true brilliance is available and glaring at an early age, although that age bracket obviously can vary depending on endeavor.

If it's not early then I don't believe it is true greatness or true "it"

I have frequently used that on sports forums to doubt late developing players. Lots of resistance in favor of subjectivity, but grudging acceptance when the examples are many and the exceptions near nil.
Beto O'Rourke

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread