HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Cumulus Media Blocks Coun...
Undecided 36%
Elizabeth Warren18%
Joe Biden13%
Kamala Harris10%
Bernie Sanders8%

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 12:15 AM

Cumulus Media Blocks Country Radio Stations From Airing Pete Buttigieg Interview

Cumulus Media Blocks Country Radio Stations From Airing Pete Buttigieg Interview

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cumulus-pete-buttigieg-interview-blair-garner_n_5d34a310e4b020cd9945089a

Hayley Miller | 07/21/2019 04:22 pm ET

Cumulus Media, one of the largest broadcasting companies in the country, blocked one of its country radio station hosts from airing his interview with 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg, mayor of South Bend, Indiana.

Blair Garner, whose self-titled Nash FM radio show is syndicated nationally across more than 150 radio stations, interviewed Buttigieg on Wednesday while the Democratic candidate visited Nashville, Tennessee, as part of his campaign tour.

“It’s important to Pete to reach voters everywhere,” Buttigieg campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith told HuffPost in a statement Sunday. “We’ve made it a point on this campaign to go outside the traditional political media bubble ― that’s why we reached out to Blair about an interview.”

“[Blair] has a big audience,” she added. “And it’s an audience that doesn’t typically hear directly from Democratic candidates for president.”

~ snip ~

At least the host was allowed to post it on SoundCloud.

https://soundcloud.com/user-755551091/blair-garner-mayor-pete?fbclid=IwAR0e3msaNq1TMdKnnnasREs5VIVSVJVYSkKXQ0f1ojqpWM5D6ltUhM3PTeQ

But it's not enough.

If anyone else, regardless of your preferred candidate, would like to help get this interview heard, here are some resources to apply some phone, fax, and social media pressure:

https://www.cumulusmedia.com/contact-us/

https://www.westwoodone.com/programming/music-entertainment/daily-shows/the-blair-garner-show/

http://www.blairgarner.com/station-finder/
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Pete Buttigieg

7 replies, 1386 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cumulus Media Blocks Country Radio Stations From Airing Pete Buttigieg Interview (Original post)
FrodosNewPet Jul 22 OP
sandensea Jul 22 #1
Liberty Belle Jul 22 #2
femmedem Jul 22 #6
customerserviceguy Jul 22 #3
JI7 Jul 22 #5
Duppers Jul 22 #4
Tumbulu Jul 22 #7

Response to FrodosNewPet (Original post)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 12:26 AM

1. It may seem cliche, but this fits perfectly with the neo-fascist agenda for the media

i.e. to impose wide-reaching censorship against both inconvenient news and opposition voices - but not so much directly (although that too), as indirectly through incestuous media outlets.

Must've been Ivanka's idea.

Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 12:35 AM

2. Pete should file an FCC complaint. This may be illegal.

Especially if they've aired interviews with any other candidates running for President. You legally MUST give equal time if asked.
I host a show on a progressive station and we are well aware that our license could be yanked if we were to refuse to interview a candidate who requests equal time.

Ours is a nonprofit radio station on the FM public airways.

I am not sure what rules apply to a commercial station.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Liberty Belle (Reply #2)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 05:36 AM

6. Equal time is reportedly why they didn't air the interview.

The interviewer was told that because of the number of candidates who might request interviews, and because they're not a political station and didn't want to devote that much time to candidates, that they didn't want to open that door.

Now I have my doubts as to whether that's the real reason--especially after listening to the interview and hearing the interviewer express anti-Trump sentiments which could upset a good chunk of the audience--but it's clear that they're aware of the law and haven't given air time to any of the other candidates.
Pete Buttigieg

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 12:52 AM

3. I wouldn't worry

about this if I was Pete Buttigieg. What is forbidden is desirable, and if enough word can be gotten out that this interview is out there, some will surely find it out of pure curiosity.

At this point, I don't expect Pete to get a lot of primary votes from folks who listen to country music, but should he get the nomination, this interview will get a lot of interest.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to customerserviceguy (Reply #3)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 05:20 AM

5. those likely to search for the interview would be liberal leaning types

the right wing types are not likely to look for it and would probably be happy they didn't play the interview of the gay guy on their station.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 04:54 AM

4. Read that earlier.

It set hubs and I on a rant, yet again, about the corporate RW media. Red states *never* hear all the facts.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #4)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 12:20 PM

7. And it is why the wrong wing- the republicans

Control everything and will keep controlling everything. They have the am radio stations and that is where the power is in the states with all outsized electoral college and Senate seats.

This has been a long term strategy. And they won. And they are not going to give way to anyone without a civil war.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread