HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Where Is Bernie Sanders' ...
Undecided 38%
Elizabeth Warren22%
Joe Biden14%
Bernie Sanders8%
Kamala Harris7%

Thu Jun 27, 2019, 03:33 PM

Where Is Bernie Sanders' Climate Plan?

When the Sunrise Movement held the last stop on its Green New Deal tour in Washington, DC in May, Bernie Sanders was the understated star act. A crowd of 1,500 people at Howard University gave the 2020 candidate a standing ovation even before he began his stump speech about the climate crisis. The Vermont Senator’s speech to a younger generation of activists echoed his typical 2016 and 2020 platform points, calling for the elimination of trillions in oil and gas industry tax breaks and creating worker protections under a Green New Deal.

Following Sanders’ act was the newest star in the progressive movement, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who obliquely criticized a campaign advisor for former Vice President Joe Biden, who told Reuters that Biden would look for a “middle ground” solution to climate change. “I will be damned if the same politicians who refused to act then are going to try to come back today and say we need to find a middle-of-the-road approach to save our lives,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

Only two weeks later, Biden released a climate change plan that bumped up his position on the environmental group Greenpeace’s scorecard, from near-failing to a “B”, mostly on the strength of the plan’s commitment to clean energy investments, path to net-zero emissions, and international leadership. He joined six other candidates who have now released a detailed platform explaining their vision for climate change, including Elizabeth Warren, Beto O’Rourke, John Delaney, Michael Bennett, John Hickenlooper, and Jay Inslee, who’s centered his campaign around the issue.

The notable exception in this group? Bernie Sanders, one of the frontrunners who still hasn’t released his own plan. This fact hasn’t gone unnoticed by Greenpeace or other climate activists agitating for a robust policy discussion, especially with climate ranking as a leading concern among Democratic primary voters.

Mother Jones

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Undecided

1 replies, 221 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Where Is Bernie Sanders' Climate Plan? (Original post)
SouthernProgressive Jun 2019 OP
George II Jun 2019 #1

Response to SouthernProgressive (Original post)

Thu Jun 27, 2019, 03:46 PM

1. The organization charged with writing the "green new deal" says the plan won't be completed....

...for a year or more.

So the Sunrise Movement et. al. is demonstrating outside Congressional offices and the DNC offices talking about the urgency of the "gnd", yet they won't be ready for another year.

I wonder if anyone can explain that.
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Undecided

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread